3. The Journey Begins

"Hurry!"

Linnea was first to reach the frozen palace.

Narrowing her eyes, she spotted a small figure heading towards the castle gates.

She couldn't believe her eyes. He went there. Willingly.

"Edmund!", Lucy cried.

"Shh! They'll hear you!", Mr. Beaver said, before tackling Peter who was about to run after his brother. 

"Get off me!"

"No!", Beaver said stubbornly. "You're playing into her hands! He's the bait!", he said, referring to Edmund. "The witch wants all four of you!"

"Why?", Susan asked.

"To stop the prophecy from coming true. Why do you think we kept Linnea as far away from her as possible? She wants to kill you!"

Silence fell over the group as they watched Edmund disappear from their sight. 

The second the gates closed, the two eldest siblings started bickering.

"We need to get to Aslans' camp", Linnea spoke, interrupting their arguing.

"She's right", Mr. Beaver agreed. "Only Aslan can help your brother now"

"Then lead us to him", Peter said, before turning back to face the ice palace.

Linnea walked up to him and placed a hand on his shoulder. She was worried about Edmund too. Granted they hadn't spoken at all, as he seemed more distant, but for some reason, that's what made her worry so.

"Let's get back to the dam. We'll pack some food and supplies for the trip. We should arrive at Aslan's camp tomorrow afternoon if we leave at once", Mr. Beaver spoke.

He turned to head back to the dam, with Susan and Lucy right on his tail.

"Aslan will help him. I promise", Linnea said, to which Peter replied: "I hope so".

Just as Linnea was about to suggest they catch up with the others, Peter spotted something in the distance.

"Look!". Linnea followed his gaze and spotted it too.

"Is that a- "

"A wolf", she confirmed. "We need to move. Now!"

Seeing as Peter wasn't going to move an inch, Linnea had to shove him so hard he almost fell backwards in order for him to move. 

With one last look to make sure the wolf hadn't seen them, the girl sprinted off as well.

"Hurry mom!", Linnea shouted as she barged into the dam.

"They're after us!", Mr. Beaver continued from right next to her.

"Oh right!", Mrs. Beaver said as she immediately started wandering around the kitchen.

"What is she doing?", Susan asked.

"Oh, you'll thank me later. It's a long journey, and Beaver gets cranky when he's hungry".

"I'm cranky now!"

Had the circumstances been different, Linnea would've laughed. But this was not the time.

She went over and removed some branches and a beige blanket to reveal the entrance of the tunnel her father had built.

"You think we'll need jam?", Susan asked.

"Only if the witch serves toast!", Peter spat at her.

Linnea could hear the sound of howls getting closer. "Hurry!"