one

"so ellie, are you excited to finally leave this place?" asked my nurse, karleigh.

well yeah, who wouldn't want to leave this hospital after being here for three years?

i nod.

"we'll miss you, but at least you'll be living more." she said, smiling at me.

i nod again, returning the smile.

karleigh sighs and leaves the room, saying something about getting me a goodbye cookie as i lay back down into my comfy but small hospital bed.

just a little while longer until you get here.

my body shoots up, my eyes carefully scanning the room for whoever or whatever said that.

"h-hello? karleigh?" i called, slowly getting out of my bed and pulling the curtain aside, finding nothing but the bathroom and a fridge.

do you have any grapes in there?

"who, or what, is saying that?" i asked, still looking around.

calm down, you'll find out soon.

"hey ellie."

i turned around so fast i almost slipped on the hospital floor.
i saw karleigh standing in the doorway, looking at me with a weird expression on her face.

"um, i didn't know if you wanted a chocolate chip or m&m cookie, so i brought you a brownie." she said, handing me the treat.

"you should probably change, since the people from the institute are coming soon."

"thank you." i mumbled, grabbing a bag of clothes by the hospital bed and walking to the bathroom.

i looked at myself in the mirror, taking a deep breath.

"so, Shepard's House." i sighed.

also known as SHIT.

"why do i keep hearing things? what is wrong with me?" i said, pulling at my hair.

there's nothing wrong with you, i'm not even supposed to be talking to you in the first place, so sorry for freaking you out.

"then if it's not me, then who are you?"

i'm-

knock knock

"ellie? the woman from Shepard's House is here to pick you up." karleigh said through the door.

i opened the door and hugged karleigh.
"thanks for caring." i mumbled into her shoulder.
"no problem, ellie. now go, they're waiting." she said, squeezing me once more before letting me go.

i looked around my hospital room of 3 years for the last time before walking out into the hallway, following the arrows to the main lobby.
when i got there i saw karen, the secretary, talking to a woman in her mid-thirties, wearing a black pantsuit.
they noticed me as i stepped closer.

"hello. i'm rebecca fawning from Shepard's House for Irregular Teens. i'm very excited to get to know you eliana." she said, extending her hand for ne to shake, which i did.

"ready to go?"

i nodded, ready to start my new life.

------

hey whoever's reading this

i'm nicole :-)

thanks for reading this even tho it's really bad bc i suck at beginnings :-P

the next chapter is twice as long woo

idk if all my chapter are gonna be as long as the next one tho but i'll try :-)

bye y'all :-)