𝟞

┏━━━━━━༻♛༺━━━━━━┓

Love Is Irrelevant!

Love Is Irrelevant!

┗━━━━━━༻♛༺━━━━━━┛

ASTRAEA ROUNDED THE CORNER of the ball room exit trying to find Francis. She had been waiting for him to complete his conversation with the council members but then she looked away for just a minute and he disappeared.

     She heard two familiar voices speaking in the hallway. Astraea positioned herself against one of pillars to where she could hear them but they couldn't see her.

     "How awful must you find me to do this?" Mary hissed to who, Astraea almost positive, is Francis by the speaking prior.

     "It's not you. You are beautiful and clever and unpredictable." Francis tried to reason with her making Astraea close her eyes and rest her head against the pillar. She knew she shouldn't feel the way she felt when he complemented Mary but she did and it made her feel guilty.

     Francis continued. "But it doesn't matter. What matters is what's right for my country. France is not as strong as you might think, or care, which maybe you don't, but I do. I am going to be king someday, responsible for my people. And right now, an alliance with Scotland could destroy France."

     That was what Francis wanted to talk to me, Astraea thought to herself realising what was going on.

     Mary didn't reply to Francis for a while.

     "You don't want to marry me. You don't want this at all."

     "I tried to change myself, change how I feel. But I can't do that, I can't change my feeling... I tried to make myself believe that things could change. I still believe that things could change. For the better of our countries."

     "But this decision is not yours, is it? It's your father's." Mary hissed at him.

     "You don't see him pushing a wedding either, do you? All engagements really do is hold alliances. He's betting we might need Scotland. I'm betting we'll find more support elsewhere. I know it's not what you want to hear..."

     "But you won't love me. You won't let yourself."

     "Love is irrelevant to people like us." Astraea could hear the heartbreak in Francis' voice. She had said those same words to him when Francis was leaving Poland after her grandmother's funeral two years back. "We, who are so privileged in so many ways, with that. All I'm saying is wait, see how things go."

     "See how things go for France. I guess it is simple after all. But you are not the only one with a country to think of." Mary said before storming off and retreating to her chambers.