Chapter 15

A few minutes later the Potters, Sirius and Remus were in Dumbledore's office.

Then he came out of his own flew network.

"Albus, it's their fifth year, it's time for them to know. Especially Harry." Lily said.

He sighed and realized they were right.

"Alright, sit down please." he said.

So they sat down and waited.

"It is time," he said, "for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry, Tracey. I am going to tell you everything. I ask only a little patience. You will have your chance to rage at me - to do whatever you like - when I have finished. I will not stop you."

They nodded and waited.

Dumbledore stared for a moment at the sunlit grounds outside the window, then looked back at Harry and Tracey and said,

"Five years ago you two arrived at Hogwart. You wonder why I had you four go into hiding the first war."

He paused. Neither Harry or Tracey said nothing.

"My answer is that my priority was to keep you two alive. You were in more danger than perhaps anyone but I realized. Voldemort had been vanquished hours before, but his supporters - and many of them are almost as terrible as he - were still at large, angry, desperate and violent. Which is why I had you stay in hiding a bit longer. Did I believe that Voldemort was gone for ever? No. I knew not whether it would be ten, twenty or fifty years before he returned, but I was sure he would do so, and I was sure, too, knowing him as I have done, that he would not rest until he killed one of you.

"I knew that Voldemort's knowledge of magic is perhaps more extensive than any wizard alive. I knew that even my most complex and powerful protective spells and charms were unlikely to be invincible if he ever returned to full power. Which is why I started to train you so young and again Harry.

"Five years ago, then," continued Dumbledore, as though he had not paused in his story, "you two arrived at Hogwarts, as happy and as well-nourished as I would have liked. You were not a pampered little prince, but as normal a boy as I could have hoped under the circumstances. You told your family to treat the two of you equally and they did. Thus far, my plan was working well.

"And then... well, you two will remember the events of your first year at Hogwarts quite as clearly as I and your parents do. And probably Remus and Sirius. You two rose magnificently to the challenge that faced you and sooner - much sooner - than I had anticipated, you found yourselves face to face with Voldemort. You two survived again. You did more. You delayed his return to full power and strength. You fought a man's fight. I was... prouder of you two than I can say. I'm sure your parents are to."

They smiled and nodded. Still not happy about what they've been through but still proud.

"Yet there was a flaw in this wonderful plan of mine," said Dumbledore. "An obvious flaw that I knew, even then, might be the undoing of it all. And yet, knowing how important it was that my plan should succeed, I told myself that I would not permit this flaw to ruin it. I alone could prevent this, so I alone must be strong. And here was my first test, as you lay in the hospital wing, weak from your struggle with Voldemort. Tracey was there to but not as long as you."

"I don't understand what you're saying," said Harry.

"Me neither." Tracey said.

"Don't you remember asking me, as you lay in the hospital wing, why Voldemort had tried to kill you two when you were five?"

They nodded.

"Ought I to have told you then?"

They stared into the blue eyes and said nothing, but their hearts were racing again.