Chapter 3: A Light In The Darkness

Castle Dimitrescu

Cory slowly sat up that same night, he couldn't sleep. So many thoughts plagued his mind and he had no idea how to feel. It felt like a dream, but he knew it was real. Like, she kissed him twice. He was still in bliss from it, it gave him a new sense of comfort. He put on his glasses and looked over at Bela who was sleeping peacefully next to him and he blushed. Cory looked around at the dark room surrounding him until he found a lit candle sitting on the nightstand. 

Cory: Wouldn't hurt too much to make myself more familiar with the place...

Cory slowly and quietly got out of bed and picked up the candle on the nightstand. He opened the door trying not to wake Bela, he peeked out into the hallway and then walked out and walked downstairs and sat down on the chair set next to the lit fireplace and set the candle next to him. Cory readjusted his glasses but then heard a voice call out to him.

Alcina: Well, what do we have here?

Alcina startled Cory causing him to fall out of the chair and for him to drop his glasses. Cory looked up at Alcina in fear of her, but she just giggled and kneeled and picked up his glasses, which were cracked in the lens. She handed him his glasses and stood back up and smiled at him.

Alcina: Forgive me for startling you dear, my apologies.

Cory quickly put his glasses back on and stood up looking up at the tall woman standing over him. He looked down, knowing she would be angry with him being up and wandering the castle this late at night.

Cory: I... I-I'm sorry...

Alcina tilted her head slightly confused at what he said. She kneeled to his level and lifted his chin.

Alcina: Now, what could you be sorry for?

Cory looked at her with a shameful look in his eyes, and let out a tear.

Cory: F-For leaving... H-Her room...

Alcina wiped the tear from his eye and picked him up. She sat down and set Cory in her lap in a comforting manner. Alcina wiped the tear from his eye and picked him up. She sat down and set Cory in her lap in a comforting manner.

Alcina: Can't sleep? Hm

Cory looked to avoid eye contact out of embarrassment and nodded to her. Alcina rubbed his head to calm him held him closer.

Alcina: Is Bela still in bed?

Cory nodded quickly to her. He looked at her with a saddened look in his eye.

Cory: P-Please don't be mad at her...

Alcina tilts her head in confusion.

Alcina: Now, why would I be mad with her?

Cory looks down from her response.

Cory: T-The things... Y-You told her

Alcina giggled and stood up still holding him.

Alcina: I see now, my daughter has made you fall for her hasn't she?

Cory's eyes widened and he looked away wanting to avoid the question.

Alcina: Don't be ashamed, I saw it

Cory looked back up at her with a worrisome look in his eyes.