chapter 2

5 years later:
"Emily Prentiss" she said shaking Aaron Hotchners hand.
"Yes, the ambassador's daughter." He said as if it all came back to him in that moment.
"Yes, i uhm have been assigned to your team i believe." She said.
"What? I believe there's been a mistake I didn't sign off on anything, no offense. You seem completely capable of the job I just never signed anything." He said.
There was a quiet knock on the door. "Sorry to bother, we have a case." Agent Jennifer Jareau said.
"Since you're here I guess you can follow us." Hotch said.
~round table stuffs~
"Wheels up in 30." Hotch stated. "Prentiss, you'll be joining us?"
"Uh sure, yes. I need to make a call." Emily said excusing herself.
"Hey olivia? It's emily. Yeah could you keep her for tonight? I have to go out of town and... okay yess. Thank you so much! Yeah you can put her on the phone. Hey sweets... mommy will be home soon though so don't miss me to much." Emily said. "I love you bug good night and be good for miss Livy." Emily said hanging up.

Emily has now worked for the BAU for 2 months:
The case had been a tough one. 3 kids kidnapped and held for 2 weeks before their bodies were found, at least they caught the S.O.B who did it.
"Hey olivia whats up?... oh no, is she okay?!... we're flying back home within the hour and I'll be home right after... I'm so sorry please let her know I love her. Also there's cold medicine in the cabinet in the bathroom if the coughing doesn't stop... okay thank you again olivia." Emily said before hanging up.

"I know that look." JJ said. "That's the 'mom' look."
"I- what?" Emily questioned not looking JJ in the eyes.
"The mom look. Every mom gets the same look in her eyes when her kids sick or hurt." JJ stated. "I get it too it's no big deal I just didn't know you were a mom."
"Uhm. Okay I'd knew it'd come out eventually. But I'd really like to just keep this between us?" Emily said, JJ nodded. "I have a daughter she's 5, she'll be six in 3 months." Emily said showing JJ a picture. "Crazy how fast it goes."
"Believe me I know." JJ joked. "I have a 2 year old he's a handful, Henry. That's his name."
"Delilah. Delilah Erin is my little girl." Emily said proudly.
"How's she adjusting? The move from Missouri to D.C.?" JJ asked.
"Fine, it's really always been just us 2 anyway so nothing new." Emily said taking in JJ's realization at their not being a father present. "You're going to wanna know anyway so I'll just get it out since your the only one who knows. Her dad doesn't know about her, which yes probably makes me a horrible human being but she was quite the drunken one night 'surprise'" emily said. "And by the time I found out he had been transferred somewhere else."
"Thanks for telling me emily." JJ said. 
Back at Quantico :
"Prentiss." Hotch called to emily making her head turn. "Office."
"What can I do for you Agent Hotchner?" She asked.
"I wanted to ask you personally before I brought it up. Do you have a child?" He asked.
"I, uhm. How is this relevant?" Emily stalled while she felt her cheeks get hot.
"Your file mentions something once but not again and I just wanted- needed to know how this affects everything, work wise." He said.
"I do have a child. But I have a nanny and so it shouldn't affect my work, just like Agent Jareau." She said.
"Okay thank you Prentiss." He said. She walked out feeling incredibly guilty for not saying anything.
Prentiss house:
"Hey sweet baby." Emily said kissing her daughters sweaty fever forehead.
"I don't feel good mommy." Her daughter said making emily heart shatter.
"I know sweet girl let's go cuddle." Emily said.
BAU:
"Damnit. She left this file here and it's due tomorrow." Hotch thought to himself. "JJ, Prentiss still here?"
"No she went home." JJ said.
"Okay well this report is due and she doesn't have the stuff for it." He said. He thought that since she didn't wear a ring that maybe the child was with the dad right now since he's probably not the husband.
Before JJ could stop Hotch from going to drop off the file at emily knowing she had her daughter there he had already left.
*knock knock knock*
"What the hell." Emily said quietly rolling Delilah out of her arms and grabbing her gun before heading to the door in shorts and large YALE hoodie. "Oh my god." Emily sighed a breath of relief when she realized it was Hotch. "What the hell are you doing here?!"
"You left this and your report is due tomorrow." He said.
"Oh right." She said. "Sorry I've been a little scatterbrained I'm not sure why, won't happen again sir." She said.
"Not a big deal." He said "i-" before he could finished a quiet voice spoke.
"Mommy, my throat hurts and I misseded you." Delilah said holding a stuffed cow tightly.
"Shit." Emily whispered to herself. "I'll be right there sweetheart." Emily said kissing her daughters forehead motioning her to go back to emily's room.
"Sorry about that, she's not feeling great." Emily said.
"Oh it's uhm okay. She is uh she's bigger than I thought she'd be."
"Yeah." Emily said realizing he's probably figuring it out. "She's 5, 6 in 3 months."
"She's uhm. She looks just like you." He said.
"...She acts just like you." Emily said hoping that meant something.
"She what?" He asked.
"Yeah. She's yours Hotch." Emily stated. "She looks like me but is more stubborn than me and you combined, has the biggest heart, and can do that stare you do maybe better than you." She tried to joked.
"Why. I- emily. Why didn't you tell me?" He asked.
"Because, you just got your dream job and I was a knocked up college student. That didn't fit into your plan at all. So I had her and moved out to start our lives with the FBI office in Chicago then we moved to missouri and now we're here." She said.
"Emily I would've dropped everything to be there with- for you." He stated.
"Exactly i would've never forgiven myself had I done that to you. And you would've never forgiven yourself either way." She said. "I'm so sorry I never told you, we can discuss this more tomorrow or something right now I need to get back to her." Emily said before closing the door, she leaned against it and took a deep breath.
The next morning emily had a missed call from Hotch, thinking it'd be a case she immediately called him back.
"Hotchner." He said.
"It's Em- Prentiss," she cut herself off. "You called." She stated.
"Right, I was wondering if you wanted to get coffee today or grab a bite at this cafe by my house to talk or discuss, things." He said the last part and she realized there was someone else with him.
"Yeah sure." She said. "I'll meet you at 9 am at the cafe, i pass it all the time."
"See you then Prentiss." He said and hung up.
Emily went back to her room and quietly got into bed looking at their sleeping daughter and she reminisced on the past.