_𝗠𝗔𝗖𝗛𝗜𝗡𝗘 𝗠𝗔𝗣𝗦 ft. 𝗸𝗮𝗴𝗲𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗮

[ non-volleyball player 3rd-years kageyama tobio & hinata shōyō ]
= status : -797 wrds , may 2021

"what's with all the maps and sticky notes and red strings? it looks like a murder investigation threw up on your wall." kageyama tobio mutters as he looks around hinata shōyō's room. it definitely wasn't like this the last time he was over, which was a little over a week ago.

shōyō scoffs playfully, glancing up briefly from his japanese literature homework. "if you could read–"

"hey–"

"you'd see on those sticky notes are cities all over the world. then again, if you could read, i doubt you'd know where those cities even are." shōyō grins smugly at his blueberry-colour haired best friend.

tobio scowls, sitting back down in front of shōyō. "you didn't technically answer my question, y'know."

"huh?"

"i asked what's with all of them. like, why do you have maps and sticky notes with cities and red strings?"

"oh." shōyō hums, tapping the eraser end of his pencil on his half-finished worksheet. "they're all places i wanna go."

tobio raises a brow, head tilting slightly. shōyō's ears redden and his slight grin grows. the former cranes his head back to the faux murder investigation wall, counting the light blue, pink, yellow and green sticky notes.

vienna, barcelona, lisbon, dublin, buenos aires, prague, moscow...

"all of those?"

"all of those." shōyō nods, honey hazel eyes lighting up at the prospect of travel.

"with what money?" tobio looks at the redhead, who's now staring at where he once was.

shōyō sighs. "dunno. earnings from working over at shimada. allowance i've saved up over the years. if my mom'll let me, college funds." he doesn't look as optimistic as he usually is.

"why travel so much though?"

"you ask a lot of questions that aren't related to japanese lit." shōyō quickly jots down the last of his answers and closes his notebook.

tobio purses his lips and starts to finish his own homework. "are you gonna answer?"

shōyō is silent, and tobio shouldn't have to tell you; it's not a common sight. he stands up and sits on his bed, facing the corkboard of papers and strings, fingers tapping restlessly. "dunno."

"you don't know a lot of things, huh?"

"as if you do."

"caught me there but you still haven't answered." tobio shrugs, pulling out his english homework, glaring at the foreign words. man, fuck this. he blinks, as if everytime he does so, he's pushing a restart button.

somewhere to his east, shōyō chuckles. "you look like you're short-circuiting." almost soon as he says this, he pushes himself off his bed and sits at tobio's right, thighs and knees touching. tobio moves his arm from the chabudai, positioning it behind shōyō.

"yeah, no, i don't know this either." tobio rolls his eyes as shōyō leans into him, looking up at the bluette's reaction. "just text tadashi or tsukishima. i bet they'd know."

tobio sighs and ruffles shōyō's hair, the latter just laying his head on his forearms on the small table.

"oi, idiot." the taller calls out softly. "go lay on your bed if you're tired. we both know your arms are gonna hurt if you do that."

shōyō smiles, doing just as his best friend told him to do. "you know me so well, tobio."

he faces the corkboard again, cogs and gears in his head turning loudly. tobio can hear the grind of metal, the clicking of little trinkets, the release of steam. loud and deafening but he lets it be, because thinking so hard makes shōyō space out and focus on whatever he's staring at. and tobio gets to watch him, his little twitches, the winking tic he developed over high school, his soft breathing that somehow drowns all the machinery out.

tobio looks back down at his english homework, essay question daunting, and puts his pen down. he stands up, right knee joint cracking. he maneuvers through the mechanisms in the air and crouches in front of his best friend, now at eye level and obstructing most of his view of his maps.

"hey, focus on me." he mumbles, leading shōyō's eyes right to his. he takes shōyō's right hand in his. 

with a silent exhale, tobio leans forward and presses his lips to shōyō's, swiftly and sweetly. when he pulls away, shōyō is smiling softly. "i'll follow you wherever you wanna go, okay?"

"okay, tobio." shōyō pecks his lips. "thank you." 

the confessions go unsaid but their actions make up for it. and it's perfect. it's everything tobio could've wanted out of telling shōyō his feelings. it's everything shōyō could've wanted out of telling tobio his feelings.

the empty sky fades to orange and pink, then the same dark blue as tobio's hair. and shōyō is left in tobio's arms, both falling asleep to each other's breathing suffocating the thinking gears. 

[ a / n ]

ths is lowkey shit i ws knda
pressuring myself to write it.

title nd story inspired by maps by the
front bottoms (listen to them thyre gr8)
thn i jst added machine bc y not

thanks for reading :))

- vkaoki