_𝗠𝗘𝗠𝗘𝗡𝗧𝗢 𝗠𝗢𝗥𝗜 ft. 𝗸𝗮𝗴𝗲𝗵𝗶𝗻𝗮

[ classmates kageyama tobio and painter hinata shōyō ]
= status : 1040 wrds , june 2021 

for hinata shōyō.

from kageyama tobio.

i'm used to death. of course i am, i live in a funeral home. my father is a mortician. i've seen many funerals. many grieving and weeping families. all alive but not so alive. does that make sense? regardless, that's my life.

"kageyama tobio?"

i raised my hand at the sound of my name. the teacher wrote something on her clipboard. later, she called another name.

"last call for hinata shōyō?"

you ran through the door a second after that. we looked at this stranger in our class—your state chaotic and tired. however, there was life in your eyes and body. i hadn't seen someone like you; so colourful and alive. your hands were covered with different colours of paint.

"ah, i'm here! hinata shōyō, i'm sorry i'm late!" you exclaimed with so much passion that it made us laugh.

do you remember that? i remember that. our teacher looked so confused.

"okay, just sit down. and wash your hands later."

you just smiled and sat to my right. i wished the teacher didn't tell you to wash your hands. they're most beautiful with paint.

= = =

after that day, somehow, we got close. i blame the art class we shared. i liked your painting that day. what am i saying—i like your paintings any day. it wasn't long before you shared you problems with me, shōyō. i think you remember that as well as i do. we were eating lunch when you spoke.

"my dad wants me to take over the business when i'm older." you had muttered, staring down at the sausage octopus in your bento box. you were only halfway done.

even though i didn't know what business it was, i remembered what my own father told me. you met him once, i think. said he was a good man. i agree. he was the one who urged me to come.

"follow what you want to do." was my answer.

you looked up from your food with wide hazel eyes, a tilted head and confused expression. i'm forgetting what it looked like. i'm sorry.

"you have to do what you think is right for you. not your father. do what makes you happy."

your smile was brighter than anything i'd ever seen. that one, i didn't forget.

= = =