-Painful Mistakes Pt 2-

chapter warnings: sadness and suicide (mentions from a scene in the film "New Mutants")

Rahne's POV:

"Talk to me!" I exclaimed fearfully and kept myself only aimed at Dani. She stayed silent for a few seconds, like she could barely form the words because something hurt that much. "It's Leon." She stated with a few heavy breaths, so I took that time to take a glance at Leon and go straight back to her. When I saw him, he was on the very far end of the warehouse, by a ton of boxes leaning against the other exit. Judging by his stance, he was focusing on something. So he was hurting Dani, through her mind. Maybe making it so her brain thinks she's feeling pain? Or.. really creating pain? "Please keep everyone safe for me, okay?"

"I love you."

Hearing those three words come out of her mouth through all of the pain hurt me more than any of the real pain she could be feeling right now. It struck a hole deep in my heart that changed my breathing from a normal pace to a now fast one that wouldn't slow down anytime soon. Those words have always been very meaningful in different ways, but right now, they meant that Dani had gave up; gave into everything. But I wasn't going to give up as easily. "I love you too, but you can keep them safe yourself! Dani, do not go back inside there. Do you hear me? Don’t let him win! You can beat him, whatever he's doing!" I felt helpless as my chest tightened, and I was mentally pulled back to when I almost lost Dani the first time. Back on the same day we first met, I had secretly stayed in wolf form longer than intended and watched the love of my life attempt to leave this world before she barely got to it. The best part of the flashback was the ending-- I got to her in time and saved her. Wait. I saved Dani back then. So I can save her now. Right?

"It's getting worse," Dani let out just a whisper to pull me back to reality. Her eyes looked as helpless as I bet mine did, and they were losing their regular happiness. Now, they were filled with strong hurt, and her pupils lost most of their focus. Dani's eyes looked like they were desperately moving around the area, trying to make something stay in focus. "Please, just keep walking. I'll make sure he stops hurting you," I stated very seriously and balled up a fist at my side. We were already out of the warehouse, and the bright sun plus the shadow of the large doors definitely covered my face from an inside point-of-view, so I'm sure nobody could see my anger rising. I've never been good at hiding my emotions via facial expression. "Rahne, I can't. I'm sorry." I looked back at Dani and her body was turned in the other direction, heading back into the warehouse. What was she thinking right now? I can help her. I know I can. But I need somwthing. I thought whilst she took one more step forward, and then I noticed that while she got closer, her body looked better. Like, she was shaking less, and just from behind, you could tell she gained more strength. Maybe she'd come back. Maybe she was just gaining enough energy, then turning back to me so we can go home together. But that sounds too good to be that true, so just in case, I yelled "Dani, wait, no!" And then muttered an "uh" while turning on my phone and calling the first contact I saw. Roberto. Pushing the button and praying for the best, I put the phone to my ear and continued yelling towards Dani since she wasn't stopping. "You are not going in there, Dani Moonstar!" Man, if anyone could hear me right now, they'd think I'm some angry mother trying to hold her toddler back from stealing candy off a store shelf. "He's going to hurt you more, stop it!" Under my breath, and weirdly aimed at the phone, I said, "Come on, Berto. Answer." The air was started to blow towards us more intensely, pushing the doors closed a bit during the process. I looked to see if the door might've hit Dani and saw her own hair blowing practically everywhere while she walked and screamed over the breeze. "He's going to hurt you if I don’t do this!" Her head turned back towards me, then down and the ground while all movements seemed to stop. Like somebody froze time completely, and I was the only thing unaffected by it. But another thing hit me-- Dani was still now. Not walking, not yelling over the crazily powerful winds, just breathing heavily to the point where I can hear it.

"I can't let that happen."

"Not on my watch."

The air must've covered what she said before that, but I had a strong feeling it had something to do with me. She can't let me do what? Get hurt? Hey, funny story, Dani, that's exactly what I can’t let you do! "If you go in there, I promise you, I'll be back for you. We all will." I said loudly before Dani could proceed with her walking. "Just.. don't go far! And I really wish I could do more right now, but you just have to get your way!" I exclaimed, realizing that I was crying that whole time and brushing it off with a kinda-forced stress-laugh. "I'll be back, believe me." And that was it. Dani went inside, and I lost her. I failed her.