S1 E2: Spellingg Bee, Part 1

"Uh, excuse me. You're...you're in my seat," Shawn comments to the new hire, Detective Juliet O'Hara.

"Damnit, why is Shawn here?" I mutter to myself questioningly. Why am I asking? It's not like the voices know. I'm not going to have a psychic revelation just because I want to. 

I slide deeper into my seat, pulling my hood further over my stupid unmanageable hair. Hiding is the only way our sting will stay in one piece.

"Spencer's there? Where is he? Never mind, I'm coming in."

"Las, you can't come in. It'll ruin the operation. Stay there!" I whisper-scold into my two-way earpiece.

"Fine, but if Spencer distracts O'Hara..."

"If that happens, I'll take care of it. I really need to get you some anger management classes, buddy."

"I do not need anger management classes!" I cringe as Las's shout shatters my eardrum.

At this point, I'm mentally begging Juliet not to take an interest in Shawn. Not only is he barely intolerable, but he's also distracting, and we need Juliet focused. If she messes this up, she'll never live it down. Mistakes are not easily forgiven by Las, even if you're close to him. Juliet has no relationship with Las, and mistakes won't be forgotten.

"Am I?" Juliet questions, raising an eyebrow questioningly at the fake psychic. She hasn't had the 'pleasure' of meeting Shawn yet.

Honestly, I'm not surprised that Shawn piqued Juliet's interest. What he doesn't know is that Juliet's already got a Romeo. His name's Bryce Amos. He's an adrenaline junkie and professional stuntman. Bryce's smokin' hot, but he only has eyes for his Juliet, Juliet. It's sweet and sickening. It's sweetening. Sickeet? I don't fucking know.

"Actually, yes, you are," Shawn repeats.

"Are you one of those weirdo compulsives who come to the same restaurant, sit in the same chair, and eat the same food every day?"

"Uh, no, no, no. I was sitting right there three minutes ago, and then I went outside to get myself a paper. I ordered the juice, and look- I made a crawling snake out of a wrapper. You can finish it if you think you're up for the job."

"I'm sorry. Do you want me to move?"

"Not anymore. So, what's up?"

"I don't have time to talk."

Good job, Juliet. That's step one in successfully stopping Shawn from being Shawn.

"But you haven't heard what I'm going to say." Typical. It's like he knows what I'm thinking and naturally does the exact opposite. You know, like in a comedy show.

"See, now we've already talked more than I wanted to."

Juliet grabs her purse, and Shawn takes a moment to make some personal assessments. "Well, I did give you my seat, you know. I think that gets me one question."

"Listen, Diner Guy-"

"Shawn."

"Shawn. Flattered, really. Very often, I am happy to meet new people, but today, right here, right now, I can't talk."

"I understand. I do. What if I do the talking for both of us?"

"Have at it. Do you mind if I read the paper and stare aimlessly out the window while you two talk?"

"No. Can I get a name to work with?"

"Juliet."

"Well, it's very nice to meet you, Juliet. [En falsetto] It's nice to meet you, too, Shawn, and I'm very sorry about your seat, so lunch is on me. So, what do you do for a living? [Normal voice] I do a little bit of everything. [Like a pubescent teen male's voice crack] Oh, that sounds interesting, and maybe a little bit dangerous. Ooh, I like your jacket. I like it-"