S1 E1: Pilot, Part 3

Author's note at the end. You have been warned.

KC orders the boys and me out of her office. Before I can successfully leave, Las pulls me into a conference room.

"I'm kinda in a rush," I hiss at my brother.

I made the mistake of calling him my adoptive brother in middle school. He ignored me for five weeks. FIVE WEEKS! I will never make that mistake again. It took a coupon book of hugs and kisses (redeemable for eternity, with a free cookie at the time of use) and my patented puppy eyes to get Las to finally acknowledge me. That, and 47 days of the infamous Mona Lassiter guilt trip program. It was a long month.

Las ignores me and leads me into the room, introducing me to the king of the McCallums. I note the gauze encasing Mr. McCallum's wrist. When I question him, he gives a flimsy excuse, "It was a small gardening mishap."

Well, he's not a gardener. His hands are callus-free (likely since 1954 or the Jurrasic age), and he doesn't have any dirt under his immaculately trimmed nails. So rich guy is lying like a politician...why? I know if I press the issue, he'll get defensive, and I won't get any information if that happens. People tend to get defensive when you accuse them of lying. Something about being told they aren't trustworthy just puts them off.

I tow Lucinda out of the room to tell her what I observed. She sharply brushes me off in typical 1800s fashion. You know, when women didn't matter. KC then notices Shawn and Gus loitering around the station, Shawn like the miscreant he is. Gus isn't annoying anybody, so I'd let him stay, but that's just me. She directs Las's pain-in-the-ass girlfriend to get them out.

"Mr. McCallum!" I hear before the door closes. I excuse myself, figuring I can kill two birds with one stone. After I listen to Shawn's conspiracy theories, I can escape and pay my rent. No adult dreams of giving money to another paycheck leech. If I don't pay by the end of the day, Roberto will evict me. He's probably already moving my couch out by himself. As much as I despise the man, he has the body of Ryan Reynolds and the face of a young Matt LeBlanc. The man is aesthetically pleasing but is a total dick. That's a turn-off.

I think he may be mad that I cock-blocked him once. It was an accident. My stupid toilet broke, so I went to him to fix it. The worst part was I really needed to take a shit. I ended up in his bathroom, which was a disappointment for the girl he brought home. She ended up leaving in a huff. Let's just say she wasn't pleased with that last whiff. I also probably shouldn't have yelled out, "You're welcome!" in front of his face.

"What's with his wrist?"

Ha! If Lucinda wasn't listening before, she is now.

I get a look of surprise from the blonde before Shawn flashes his "Imma seduce you" smile. Any will to help him is immediately drained from me. "You don't give up, do you?"

"I do give up, all the time. But not until the moment is right. Now, come on. I know you don't think this adds up either," Shawn says to Lucy and me. I'm not going to let him know he's right.

"Okay, rumor is he tried to off himself." Yes, insanely wealthy men just get suicidal. It's natural. They can't wait to be separated from their money.

"Off himself?" Shawn shares a look with Gus. "The war hero? The man who's seen everything? No. That's not it. That's definitely not it."

"You know everything, don't you?" He's an idiot.

Before Shawn answers, I jump in, "Not everything. Mr. McCallum told me it was a gardening mishap."

"Anyway," Shawn distracts, "Something is going on, and I'm gonna find out what it is."

"No. You're not going anywhere near that man," Las informs, coming up behind me. "In fact, I'm going to make certain you never hear from this department again," He continues, leading Shawn to the doors.