Chapter 27

Lily's residence...

"How was it possible?"

It's Lily's voice who sits on the couch next to her mother who is as dismayed as she is. The puppy runs away from her arms and runs around the room.

Maria has her eyes lost, not knowing what to say. She shakes her head and turns her gaze to her daughter.

Lily sighs and rummages through her purse without looking into it. She takes out a pack of cigarettes and a lighter and takes it to her lips and lights it, pulling it hard so that after the thick smoke it comes out of her mouth.

"Lily! What are you doing?" Her mother scolds her. "Like you told me you quit smoking?"

Two years ago, since she broke up with Gene, Lily started practicing this habit. To smoke. She found this to calm her down very well and quickly. And she knows it's not good for her health, but she can't help it.

"Only one mom," she says, looking at her with pleading eyes.

"Lily," her mother sighs. "Wait a minute," she shifts a hand to her forehead and closes her eyes for a few seconds. "Explain to me... Pregnant? With whom? From what I know, you don't have a boyfriend. Who is the child's father?"

The brunette carries her cigarette in her hand, holding it in the air, smoke coming out of it and she looks at her mother with her mouth ajar, visibly nervous. She swallows hard and says in a low voice:

"If you knew who he was... You'd say I'm crazy..."

"Is not like he's the president!" Maria smiles, trying to make her daughter feel better.

"No, mom," her daughter smiles sadly, tilting her head. "He is not the president."

"Then who is it?" Her mother asks her and leaves a hand on her arm.

Lily takes another puff from her cigarette and says in a quick voice:

"It's Gene."

Maria winces slightly and moves aside next to her daughter, looking bizarrely around and then looks up at her daughter.

"Lily? But you broke up with him two years ago..."

"It seems we have reconciled... for one night," she purses her lips looking blankly melancholy, because she can't look her mother in the eye.

"Oh, my God!" Maria sighs and buries her mouth with a hand. "Lily," her mother is looking gentle now, "it's okay. It's not the end of the world. A child is not a curse, God forbid. It is a blessing-"

"Not when their parents are not ready to be parents..."

"Lily... Everything will be fine. You will have all the support from me, from your family."

"I know mom," she smiles sadly. "Now I'm a mature woman, it's not like I'm 18 years old. I can take care of a child. But... I'm shocked... I didn't have that in my plans..."

"You'll see you're going to love this baby. I honestly... I will be happy being a grandmother... just wait for your father to find out! He can't wait for a grandchild!"

"I think he will be disappointed that I will have a child out of wedlock."

"No, my dear! Does not matter! My mother was a single mom and raised me and my sister all by herself."

"Yes, but she was a widow. Is different. Grandpa and Grandma were married."

"Well, if you say," Maria is gesturing with red cheeks, "that you and Gene were together a month ago... maybe still... you still have some feelings for each other. Why don't you try to talk? Maybe the relationship will work again... You'll have a child together..."