coming storm

Wilbur sat there shocked, his eyes wide and mouth agape. He felt an anger rumble in his chest as uncertainty rose. A coming storm cloud painted in dread, soaked in tears to come. For once since he'd been back, he couldn't trust Dream to figure it out in the end. What the fuck just happened? He dug his fingernails into his palms, his knuckles turning an off white color. A stinging pain he desperately wanted to placate his raging brain. Thousands of questions ran through his head as his eyes remained glued to where y/n had last been standing. Now an empty space, a black hole sucking on the surroundings. He began to rub his temples with calloused fingers as he shrunk in on himself. His shoulders now stiff, his frame not one of the famed hero. Was he really what y/n had said? A fucking coward? Why couldn't he get their words out of his head?

He went over who he had been before, who he was now. A cascading journey of failures rising like imperfections in skin. That somehow led him from a damp suffocating train station to the biting open air of day. Now he was stuck as a man who needed to use others to survive, blood, blood, blood. A desire that drummed in his head, a beat that only got louder and more decisive. Why couldn't he be the Wilbur everyone loved. A revolutionary outfit and a bright smile. Words that held a rhythm that sunk into your soul. Was he ever going to be able to be what y/n needed now or would be forever be this fucking failure. A man who more so resembled a weak shadow.

"fuck." he muttered. Y/n always right there for him, and what the fuck was he, a parasite stuck to their neck? He suddenly jumped to his feet, realizing what the conversation had meant. Words not worth feeling pity over for y/n was going to talk to Dream.

———-

I stormed through the halls, listening for sounds of rustling, of life. The sound of my blood rushing seemed to be far too present in my ears. I made my way to where I had last seen Dream last night, and I heard the sound of unfolding paper from a nearby room. A blood red carpet leading me to the slaughter. I quickly walked to the sound, posture held high, I needed to know my purpose if this was going to go well, if this was going to go at all.

"What a nice surprise." Dream purred out looking up from the map he was studying on the large meeting table. His posture is always that of a predator's, always waiting for you to slip up. The paper extended over almost the entire table, my eyes torn to look at the large crater that was almost dead in the center. "that's l'manberg, you know. Just a crater, a fucking sad hole is all your revolution added up to." I squinted my eyes at him, furrowing my brow. The words a new scar torn open to bleed the sickly blood of regret. He lowly chuckled in response, leaning over to create more red marks over the map, a mess of arrows and lines that meant nothing to me but somehow still seemed at least a bit unsettling.

"Always the charmer, Dream." I said walking further into the room. I took a deep breath, settling my nerves that seemed to endlessly build in my chest. "Anyway, I need to talk to you," he quickly snapped his head up to bare into me "Wilbur, he- he won't speak up, but-" he tilted his head. I felt myself pause, consider.

"but you will?" he said with a honeyed voice. The taste was too sweet on my tongue. Dream trailed around the table closer to me "you? will?" he questioned with arrogance in his voice, pointing a finger at my chest. The mask left his expression unreadable, his imposing posture making the hairs on my arms raise. was being belittled, pushed aside.

"y-yes." I stuttered, he leaned forward as I clumsily stumbled back, losing ground in an already fruitless fight. "yes, I will, Dream." I took a breath, shaking the anxieties from my head  "You can't hurt those people, I don't care about your stupid fucking revenge. You're out of the prison, Dream, get the fuck away from them and just fucking leave." He stood taller now, his mask slightly chipped and looming over me. He seemed like a man who could blow out the sun's light. "Go fucking terrorize other people, leave them alone. Please," I wanted to plead, to beg "you already got what you want." Then suddenly he burst out into laughter, loud and disruptive.