me or you

Dream opened y/n's door with a confidence only he could possess. Maybe this would finally make them regret living on the outskirts of the small society, a break in. As he entered he heard the quick opening of a door down the hallway. Y/n quickly followed the sound as they dashed out with wild eyes that only slightly softened as they locked eyes with Dream, panic meeting the unnerving calm stored in the green orbs that were darkened by his mask.

"Hi, sweetheart." he watched as they shivered, as their shoulders slumped, their body leaning into the man as their mind came up to resist it.

"Dream, I thought you would be gone for longer?" They slowly walked to the kitchen as they began to fill a glass of water. Their body language made them seem defeated, resigned to this repetitive routine of water spilling out of the faucet. Giving and giving and giving.

"Now, now, no need to seem so excited, princess." Dream laughed to himself as he walked over to the dining table. It was scattered with empty glasses just like the one y/n then placed in front of him with a muffled clink. The mess made Dream feel warm.

"Sorry, just a bit tired." they seemed to melt into the seat beside them, body positioned to be as far from the imposing man as possible. Their head even leaned to one side, their neck straining to maintain the clearly uncomfortable position. "How is Tommy?" Their voice wavered with the name, trailing off shakily. Dream studied Y/n's face, part of him searching for feelings to crush or to cherish, he didn't know.

"He's fine, still missing his friends I suppose, but that's why I'm there, darling." They forced a smile that didn't reach past their lips. "It couldn't hurt to loosen up y'know." Dream said getting to his feet and stepping closer to y/n. "It's just me."

"I know," they mumbled as he pushed their hair behind their ear. "Just you"

"And it's always just gonna be me," voice laced with the same tone he used with Tommy, it was all so mechanical now, the manipulation. Words heavy like lead, flowed like viscous blood. "Wilbur is dead, and who else ever comes this far out to visit you, sometimes I don't even want to, darling, so loosen up while I'm here."  Dream said it all with a wicked grin, same old routine to develop dependency, same old horrible words that fell so gracely from his accursed mouth. "It's the least you could do."

"Just you," they mumbled again looking over at him, shivering at the expressionless mask as it tore through all those layers of skin that said they didn't need him. These white lies he told, did they really hurt? Were they lies at all?

————————- ————————- ————————-

The door opened again, this time his intentions were less clear, not cut so sharp he need not think. His face was muddled like dirty water when he dared look at his grim expression. Contorting as he resisted the urge to shatter whatever poor mirror dared reflect him. The door creaked as he entered the silent house, but he was not fooled by the quiet that blanketed the cosy home.

"So naive, to stay back, to slip away from that flock, my sheep." he grinned. "You think you can fix this, help those fucking idiots cowering in the prison, come out, princess." a shift, a sound, a creak that most would want to wave off as the house settling, but there they were. A wolf in the doorway, a bunny in the hall, predator and prey and how did he love the chase.

"Dream, I don't want to fight." two versions of y/n stood there, and both felt the urge to grab a glass from the cabinet, yet only one could resist. "I want you to leave, I demand you to"

————————- ————————- ————————-

The prison was foreboding, a structure that towered over you that had no light wrapped into its walls. Obsidian and blackstone stained with blood unknown to most that stared upon its imposing stature. Sam stood outside with a nervous expression, brows knit together as he scanned for movement. We met eyes and he took a breath of relief as he granted me a small smile, forced maybe but welcomed all the same.