Chapter #2

My mother owned a shoe store in the city that was just gaining notoriety.

I reflect on her with my head ducked into the space where your legs should go, not your head.

Bloodchurch Chucks, it was named. And originally she planned to name it just Bloodchucks because of how convenient her name was for such wordplay. But because she had spent a good chunk of her teens years being bullied for it, being stomped on until she felt so small that the name began to fit like a shoe on her, she thought it would only serve to devalue the past that she had to live if she changed it now. And so the name remained. Bloodchurch Chucks.

I reflect while realising with existential horror that if Me-Crazy hit the brakes too hard my neck could easily snap in half because of how it was tied to my seat's headrest with a belt.

And it's Me-Crazy as in, the girl who killed my mom and is now kidnapping me. At least that's the name they referred to her, whoever she was talking to on the loudspeaker. Maybe as a way to prevent her real name to be exposed should their phone line be tapped.

And while I have a last dwindling thought about my mom and her shoe brand that teens loved to wear on their feet because the rebellious studs on them gave them a sense of liberty, my own legs were going numb from being pressed under my thighs for so long. My wrists tied to my ankles, and hurting.

I've tried begging for her to let me go. But the closest to acknowledging me was when she stole a glance towards me as she turned her head to scroll on her phone, changing the song.

The next time her head turned sideprofile was when I gagged from motion sickness. I froze, wondering if she would say anything now. But she just looked confused like she forgot why I was even there, then put Rasputin on.

I had never felt like crying to a silly song before, but when my eyes stop on the fleck of blood on my maroon Gap sweater, it stings.

Mom is dead. And it gets minutely more obvious because the stench of her corpse is flowing into the car like another ghostly presence.

I look out the window where the sun is slowly rising, but concentrate on not falling asleep because if I pass out now I'll be sleeping right next to mom.