Chapter #5

"Dandy!"

"No no, it's daddy. Say daddy, my dear."

"Daddy, you're my dandelion."

Dad chuckles, realising how clever his daughter is. "If that's so, then Marion you're my Marigold."

I stare with a hard expression against the windshield, watching the streets pass by without caring where he was taking me. My hand was fidgeting with the only living thing left of my dad and soon that would die too. The head of a orange flower that he kept blooming at his desk to remind me of when I wasn't home.

"Would you rather be a hitgirl or a itgirl?"

My head turns in the vague direction of Allen who is sitting behind the steering wheel again. I'm neither sure wether what those words mean nor whether this was that game or an actual question. Going by what I had learned about Allen, it would be the latter. I shrug.

"I know I know, always gotta explain everything to you girls." Allen goes on like he's picked up on a bad habit by now. "Hitgirl being a killer for profit, Itgirl being your standard prostitution or stripper. Which one is it?"

"Is that a job offer?"

"Mary, I'm trying to take care of you,' Allen says in a warm voice. "With your dad gone, who will pay your bills now?"

From the corner of my eyes I can see how he glances at me, and whatever he saw must've been funny to him becuase he starts ooo'ing and then cackles. "With that murderous look, I'm taking you'll be our Hitgirl. There it is!"

I'm alarmed all of sudden. "There is what?!"

"Get ready to unleash your claws, Mary. It's going to be real bloody." He gives me a big smiles, then rapidly steers to the left and my body is thrown against the passenger door. Thankfully I wasn't tied up with the belt anymore but it feels like I'll have a bruise.

"Where are we going?" I demand more unnerved now.

We had entered a beautiful suburb, the car passing unassuming people at a crawl that had no idea a killer was on the road. And if Allen was serious, maybe soon it would be two.

"Old friends of mine. I wouldn't call him that nowadays though after he did."

"It sounds like many people wronged you..."

"You're a smart girl." He grinned and rapidly steered again until the car crossed over the flat curb and into a sand-coloured drive way. The black gates opened when the car neared a motion detector and from there on they drove along a long path towards a mansion. "I don't think you'll find the history that interesting anyway, John is a bore. What might interest you though is that anger you now have inside you after watching your dad get killed right in front of you. You wouldn't want to take that out on someone innocent, right? So it's better to direct karma on someone who is not."

Which would point the arrow right at Alanche, because he was all but innocent anymore had he ever been. But I shut my mouth and stepped out of the car when he parked in front of a fountain.

I looked around the large property, feeling strange because I wasn't actually feeling anything. I did feel the cool air brushing down my arms but after what I had just seen, I don't think I could get an emotional reaction from anything.

The world felt both flat and full at the same time, and all I wanted was to empty my head because it felt stuffed with gruesome scenarios. Blood and sightless eyes staring back at me, and soon more of that.

Alanche waved at me and I tailed after him, past the fountain that left sprinkles of water on my maroon sweater. Darkening it, but the dried blood still remained as the stronger colour standing out like eyes in the mists. And then the image of Me-Crazy flashed before me. I wondered where she had went and why. And the unlikely scenario occurred to me that maybe had felt guilty about it and abandoned this business altogether.

So I'm not sure why I wasn't doing the same.

Alanche lead me inside the mansion then turned to me, giving me the same kind of plain instruction he gave me before we stepped into my home. "This one will be easier, so I fully trust you to get the job done properly unlike Me-Crazy. We'll walk out and grab some icecream afterwards, whatever you want. How about Takeout?"

"No takeout..." I shuddered.

"Icecream then. Here's a knife." The chains and handcuffs rustled when he reached behind and pulled his hand back holding a butcher knife. He handed it to me. "He should be in the library by now. Usually I would join him for the book club but we've got other plans,' He winked then held his hand out, gesturing at the supposed library.

I followed the direction until I stood before a thick door painted in mahogany. And with one glance back to Alanche, who smiled reassuringly, I pressed down the handle and let the door skid open.

Against my expectations there was a guy in his twenties sitting on a plush love chair and not some middle aged man. His eyes dart up and the panic in me ensures, but I'm not fully certain it's because I'm here with a killing order.

"Who are you?" He demands, scrunching his eyebrows together.

"Kill him, Mary!" Alanche's voice hollers from the hall and my body listens. My hand squeezed the end end of the butcher knife and I run with it towards the guy who looks as shocked as I felt when the fist smashed before mom's face.

The library shatters before from my eyes and fills up with shards of flashbacks from all the ugly things I've seen the last two days. Mom. Dad. The girls. And I don't recover until my hand feels sticky and I lose hold of the butcher knife. For a moment I fear that the guy takes it, but Alanche's voice calms me down.

"Marion," He calls to me. I turn to him with the fresh corpse between my feet. "You're my murdering machine. My marionette."