Chapter 05

Lea

"Page Cardio," I requested Dr. Miguel Luel, my new intern.

He paged cardio as we examine more the patient. A couple of moments passed and now cardio is here. To be specific, it's Doc Aga.

He examined the patient and saw that the patient was cuffed.

He took a gander at me and asking for information about the patient.

"Detainee," I whispered.

I was about to leave but a quick hand snatched me by my wrist which caused me to be stunned. I looked at who snatched me and it's the patient. He didn't articulate any words but he just held on my wrist so I gently held his wrist too.

Perhaps he needs affirmation that he'll be fine.

After a couple of examination, he's currently to make a beeline for the OR for his surgery. A general surgeon and cardio will work on him.

Before they moved out of the trauma room, he took a gander at me so I went close to him and said, "You're in good hands."

He gestured his head and grinned before they pushed him to the elevator.

I was strolling on the corridor making a beeline for the third floor when I was pulled inside a patient's room.

I was shocked by the sudden action but even more shocked when I saw a knife pointed at me.

I looked around and there's no patient on the bed. It is an empty room.

"Do not to save him," he said eagerly.

I got befuddled so I wrinkled my temple.

"The detainee," he answered.

I pressed the 'code blue' button on the wall to call the doctors so that I won't end up being a cold body before they could discover me.

I actually don't get why he abhorred the detainee so I said, "I'm sorry, Sir but we—"

Before I could end my sentence, he pushed me on the floor which made me hit my head on the table. My vision's somewhat foggy yet I can see him moving towards me with his blade pointed at me.

"Let him die!" he yelled.

I was unable to answer nor move properly because I was afraid. It brings back the memories I tried for so long to bury.

Seconds after, nurses rushed in the room with an crash cart. Akala siguro nila there's a code blue patient. Well, I'll be a code blue patient if I didn't press the button.

Stunned, the one who pointed a blade at me run off the spot.

My eyes turned out to be weighty so I shut my eyes and let them help me.

"Sir, I need you to keep still so I can help you," I asked the patient who's attempting to get off the hospital bed.

I am a resident and I am trying to help a patient who got into a fight with his friend which is on the other room being treated by the other doctors.

The doctor with me headed out to ask for an attendings' help since we need to be supervised still.

"I need to head outside!" pagpupumilit niya.

Since I can't let him, I tried again to persuade him to relax so that I can examine him and he'll be able to leave if  I make sure that just the cut on his brow is the problem. But looking at him, I think there is more than the cut on his brow.

"Get off!" He pushed me on the wall. His eyes were furious. His hand is pushing my shoulder on the wall while the other is pointing a scissors on me.

He again pushed me hard on the crash cart we used on the other patient a while ago which made me break my elbow. It was agonizing to the point that made me groan in pain.

I attempted to move but he pushed me to the bed and made me fall over my feet and caused me so much pain. I shouted for help since I was unable to help myself any longer.

The patient left the room and I have the foggiest idea where he went.

One of the doctors entered and saw me in that condition so he helped me. He called for other doctors and nurses to help him treat me.

While being treated, all I was thinking was my patient who run off the room. I even asked the doctors where the patient is but told me to just keep still and others are holding the patient.

That incident was horrendous for me. Also, it made me be hospitalized for nearly 3 weeks. Good thing, I recovered fast.

"Doc Lea, Doc Lea."

I opened my eyes gradually and wander my eyes just to see Doc Aga who's sitting adjacent to my bed and calling my name.

"How do you feel?" he asked.

I didn't answer and just I glanced around again to find if the one who pointed a blade at me isn't in the room.

"Don't worry, Doc Lea. The police took him already," he said. He probably saw that I am worrying.

Realizing that I am safe, I tried to calm down.

"Doctor Lea! Doctor Lea!"

Dr. Jacinto went into the room and he took a gander at me with concern.

"Are you alright?" he asked as he draw close to me.

I just gestured and constrained a smile.

He held my hand and was about to plant a delicate kiss yet I pulled it away before he could kiss it the subsequent time.

"I'm fine. You can go," I said then showed a smile that he may have not noticed that it was just a phony.

"I'll be back later. May a surgery lang ako." He said farewell bago lumabas ng room ko.

"How's my CT?" I asked when I recalled that I hit my head on the table.

"Okay naman. You're fine," answered Doc Aga and smiled at me.

"The man. How did his surgery go?"

"Oh, the detainee? He did well and he's currently in the recovery room."

After he answered by question, it came to my mind to ask him why he is in my room. 

"Ikaw, what are you doing here?" I got curious lang naman.

What's his motivation of being here? As indicated by him, I am alright naman.

"Wala lang. Baka kasi hanapin mo ako," he joked.

"Duhh! Pake ko sa 'yo!" I rolled my eyeballs at him.

"Kahit talaga kagagaling mo lang sa isang incident, you're still rude. Hindi na ba talaga 'yan magbabago?"

"Guess what? I truly hate you. Puwede bang you distance yourself. Social distancing tayo ngayon. Ayoko sa mga pangit." I advised him.

Am I being excessively mean? Perhaps no. Nagsasabi lang naman ako ng totoo e.

👩‍⚕End of Chapter👨‍⚕