Chapter 04

Lea

"Doctor Aga! My scrub cap!"

I ran after him as he leave the attendings' lounge.

Kinuha niya kasi 'yung scrub cap ko sa bulsa ng white coat ko.

It's already a month and everything he did was to piss me kahit na I've been rude to him. He always jokingly threaten me that he will tear my scrub cap, or destroy my stethoscope, or anything, just to cause me to agree on his dinner invitation.

Gusto ko mang sigawan si Doc Aga pero nahihiya ako since nasa hallway kami and napakaraming tao sa hospital.

Nasa hall na kami when I finally grabbed his scrub suit which made him stop.

May mga tao ring nakatingin sa amin.

"Doc Aga, give it to me," I requested.

"Say yes muna."

Hinila ko siya sa gilid para less attention and tried getting the cap from him. Pero since he's somewhat taller than me, I battled reaching for it.

While going after the cap, my phone rang and it's from the ER.

I left Doc Aga there and went to the ER immediately.

"Trauma 2 po, Doc," said Isabella.

Anyways, this is Isabella's last day sa service ko. I'll have my new intern tomorrow. One month lang kasi sila sa bawat department.

I made a beeline for trauma 2 and the doctors and nurses are restoring the patient. Following a couple of moments, the patient returned so I went to check the patient.

The pupils don't react to light. I attempted if the patient would respond to pain, however, there was no response. At the point when I  contacted the eye surface, the eyes didn't squint. Also, when I moved the head and expecting an eye movement, I didn't get anything.

The doctors and nurses were looking at me while I was examining the patient. They must have noticed that I have been trying different things as I examine.

I looked at them and disclosed to them the outcome.

"He's brain dead."

Everybody released a sigh of frustration. It must be hard for them since when I entered, they were all doing their very bests to revive the patient but ended to be brain dead.

I left the trauma room and another doctor called me for a consult.

The patient is conscious yet has a broken arm and leg.

I went to keep an eye on his pupils and there was a great reaction. I examined him more and happily, he was an opposite of the other patient on the trauma nearby who just went brain dead.

"Head is fine," I said prior to leaving.

"I requested a head CT just to be sure."

I left the Emergency room and strolled to the park which is just next to the hospital. I breathed in and out with my eyes shut while sitting on a bench.

Nakaka-miss ang hangin sa labas ng emergency clinic. When you're inside the hospital kasi, you can barely recognize day from the night since all you do is learn, study, and save lives. Malalaman mo na lang if you check the time or if you go out.

After a few moments, I returned the emergency clinic and did my rounds. After my rounds, I went to the nurse station for my orders.

"Thank you," I said to one of the Nurse before returning to the attendings' lounge.

Pagpasok ko, I saw Aga and Dr. Jacinto. Just after I saw Dr. Jacinto, I took a stab at getting away from the room, however, Doc Aga called my name. Ayun tuloy, I couldn't get away from Dr. Jacinto.

"Doc Lea, ikaw pala. It's been a month since the last time we talk."

I shut the entryway and went into the room and grinned at Dr. Jacinto ungracefully.

"But now, the opportunity has arrived naman na siguro for you to reveal to me your answer. I've been waiting."

I sat on the sofa beside where Doc Aga is situated. He's sipping his espresso and then handed me my scrub cap.

"I'll wait for you at the lobby? Sometime in the evening. 7:00," he said without waiting for my answer.

Aga took a gander at me confusely and I mouthed, "Help."

Dr. Jacinto sat near me and encircled his arms around me which made me feel awkward. Sino ba namang hindi, 'di ba? In addition, he's too old for me. 20 years more older than me.

"I'm sorry, Dr... Jacinto." Aga saw his jacket muna para malaman ang pangalan ni Dr. Jacinto.

"Doc Lea can't join you this evening. We have a case to talk about and if you mind, I might want to get her now for we will begin the conversation."

Aga hauled me out of the sofa and we left the room. We strolled quick and went into the conference room and there I released a big sigh.

"Sino ba 'yon?" Aga asked as we plunked down.

"Dr. Jacinto. Head of Ortho. He's been asking that I go with him for dinner since he came here—a year ago pa. Pero I continued declining using different reasons since I don't wanna offend him kasi nga he's more older than me. I have respect left pa naman," I replied.

"A month ago kasi, before you were here, I run out of reasons kaya I told to him na I'll offer a response kapag nagkita kami ulit. So from that point forward, I took a stab at keeping away from him but unfortunately, kanina, we ran into each other." I proceeded.

"Why don't you want to go with him? He's a department head. Ayaw mo ba sa kanya?"

"Hindi naman ako gano'n, Doc Aga. I don't need a sugar daddy to buy what I want. I have my money and I am capable of buying everything without asking for anyone's money. Tsaka matanda na siya. He's like a dad to me na kaya. Also, the main reason, hindi ko siya type."

Doc Aga giggled at my last sentence.

"E ano ba ang type mo?"

"Ayoko sa matanda, ayoko sa bata. Basta 'yung hindi kagaya ni Dr. Jacinto," sagot ko.

"So 'yung kagaya ko ang type mo?" Now his confidence is taking off high once more.

"Nah. Lalo na 'yung kagaya mo, pass ako," sagot ko which made him pout.

"Ang pangit naman." Prangka kong sabi.

"Doc Lea, wala talagang preno 'yang bunganga mo. Ipahatid mo naman in a less offending way 'yung panlalait mo. 'Yung hindi halatang nanlalait ka," said Doc Aga.

"Para kang ugly duck, gano'n?"

Napa-face palm na lang siya.

I don't have a clue how to sugar coat my words kasi e. And I am very sorry for that.

"Tell me more about you na lang. Just to pass time," I inquired.

"So now you want to know me, huh. Nagkaka-interest ka na sa akin." His smile is getting wider.

I picked the wrong words. Expecting tuloy si hayop.

"I just want to know the basics. Para if at any time maaksidente ka, I can mention to them what is your choice of color ng kabaong mo."

"Aksidente lang nung una tapos kabaong na agad ang diretso? Hindi mo ba ako susubukang i-revive?"

"Why should I? In case you're gone, bawas problema ko."

"May ibang colors ba ang coffin? If there is, I want black," he replied happily.

"Noted. Ako rin. If I die and you end up being there, I want the black coffin too," sabi ko.

"Huwag na. Itatapon na lang kita sa ilog para doon ka mag decompose," Doc Aga said then snickered hard as though his joke was so amusing.

Insane.

👩‍⚕End of Chapter👨