Chapter 09

Lea

"Are you crying, Doc Aga?"

I've never seen him cry since he was cry.

I plunked down adjacent to Doc Aga who is currently wiping his eyes.

"I lost my patient."

"Oh! Haven't you lost any quiet previously?" I asked.

"This present one's different. It's a child who I promised that he'll see the light once more."

He brushed his hair using his fingers.

"It's not your fault. I know you did your best. But, maybe, this is a lesson for you to stop telling them that you are sure that they will survive. Because once they enter the OR, it is not us who hold their lives."

Doc Aga released a sigh.

"Maybe I should quit being too sure about myself."

He rose up to take his espresso.

"Maybe you should decrease it." We both laughed.

"Pero syempre sure pa rin ako na I'll get an opportunity to be part for your life."

>>

"ER?" asked Dr. Zulueta who I am with in the elevator.

"Yes,"  I answered right away.

We are at the fifth floor and each floor, the elevator opens and doctors come in. Everyone is in a hurry.

There must an huge trauma.

The ER, which us most of the time loaded up with patients who has minor wounds is currently loaded up with patients who are in the middle of life and death.

Patients crying while their body is covered with blood. Families are strolling from one corner to another trying to get a doctor to help their love ones.

Paramedics who are acquiring many patients. Helping in pushing each gurney a patient is in.

Nurses and Doctors who are moving from one patient then onto the next as they treat as much as they can. Examining each patients in the room.

"Trauma 3 needs a cardio consult. Doc Aga, please."

Doc Aga went into the trauma room where he is needed.

"Dr. Zulueta, bed 9 is pregnant." Another nurse told Dr. Zulueta.

Dr. Zulueta hit bed 9 and examined the patient who's, I believe, is in her eighth month.

"We'll need a neuro for the next ambulance," said Dr. Ahmee.

"We need a neuro here, please!" yelled an intern from trauma 1.

I looked at Dr. Cruz, the head of neuro, as I wait for what he tells me to do. If I should take the patient on the ambulance or take the one in trauma 1.

"I'll take trauma 1, you take the incoming patient," he ordered.

I hurried to get a gown and gloves and joined the other doctors who are also waiting for the entrance of the trauma center.

"Ano bang nangyari?" asked an intern who is beside Dr. Ahmee.

"A driver lost its control and hit various vehicles," she answered.

An ambulance halted before us and drew out a patient whose head has a bandage.

"Carlo Romero, 38. No helmet which caused him to have an open skull fracture," presented the paramedic.