Untitled Part 26

2 YEARS LATER

"Ah—Gracia's mi amigo." Zemo smiled as Gael sat a cup of coffee and a small plate of food down for him at his table in the courtyard.

    "Por supuesto!" Gael replied in his casually pleasant way. He pulled the dish towel from his shoulder to wipe a spot on the table before tossing it back over. "And how is my beautiful friend? She feeling better?" He asked and crossed his arms, smiling down at Zemo.

    The Baron took a small sip of the strong brew and sat back, looking up at the man he loved like a brother. "Christine is well, but for her it's never easy in the first few months. It was the same with Ansel." He said remembering those days easily.

    Gael nodded. "Luisa too" He stared off looking troubled by the news but then gave a little gasp raising his finger with an idea. "I'll have her make some tea for Christine, it was her grandmothers recipe and the only thing that made her stomach settle in those early days."

    "Thank you." Zemo said genuinely and Gael gave him a quick pat on the back before going off to check on the other tables.

    The Baron watched his friend busy himself with the good life of a restauranteur and sighed contentedly, crossing one leg over the other. He settled in his seat—his back to the stone wall of the patio as always—and picked up his book.

    Sundays in the village were so calm. It was his favorite time to visit and though they typically came as a family, the morning sickness was too much for Christine today, even if it was the sign of a healthy pregnancy. This being her second, she knew her body well enough to know when to take it easy. So instead of a trip to the village, he'd left her relaxing on the sofa with salty crackers to suppress the nausea. He missed her being here and the way she and Luisa would tease he and Gael, but he could not pretend it wasn't nice to be alone.

    Zemo shut his eyes holding the book closed, just letting the sun warm his face for a while as he basked in the silence. He'd honestly forgotten what it was like to hear the constant chatter of a child just finding their voice. Ansel, being a fiery two year old, would never let him forget it again. The boy was a beautiful and gifted child who demanded his papa watch him do everything, from simply running as fast as he could through the house, to kicking the football and building towers with his blocks...he was his father's tiny —persistent— shadow and even now the man had to smile thinking of him.

    Opening his eyes Zemo blinked against the sun and reached for another sip of coffee. Alone with his thoughts he realized that while he would never tell Christine this, he did hope their second child would be a girl. He'd never had a daughter before. The idea of a female version of himself was terrifying, hilarious and wonderful.

Still smiling at the thought, the Baron sat back again and opened his book ready to relax before heading home.

    To anyone watching, he was the picture of domestic bliss —a healthy man, happily settled into his life. Christine had convinced him to keep the beard, his hair was longer in spite of her home cuts, and he wore the casually expensive clothing worthy of his title. He was a man at peace, but that peace did come at a price. One that would occasionally keep him up at night and distract him from the family he'd made, but in the end it was all for them.

    Everything he did was for them.

    Paying the professional eyes and ears of the underground to inform him of the goings on in the real world, as well as the elite assassins who shot without asking questions— all for them.

    Spending the last two years ridding the world of the remaining flag smashers and any talks of recreating the serum, was all for them.

    Now his wife could love him without worry and his children could grow up and old without fearing the carelessness of super heroes and their endless wars. Zemo—along with the help of the ever devoted Oeznik— had been successful to the point of making it impossible for even the governments of the world to get their hands on more. Just a mention of the word serum or the names Erskine or Nagel would see your lab set ablaze in the span of an hour and possibly a bullet through the brain as had been the case for a few of the more determined scientist.

    As expected he'd made a few new enemies over the years due to his efforts. All of them so desperate to know who was ruining their foray into the black market of super soldier creation, but Zemo was no fool. He'd kept his actions and the location of his family a perfect secret, even managing to elude the Dora Milaje by use of decoys and distraction.

    So, after all of that, to know that he was currently being watched piqued the Baron's curiosity more than it frightened him. Who had been the first to break through his defenses, he wondered finishing the coffee.

    Admittedly he'd not been aware of it right away, his life in the country had made his sixth sense a bit dull, but the shadow of his former self was never far.

    Zemo lowered his book acting as though he was looking for Gael, but really it was the man watching him from outside the gate (and poorly hidden) that he sought.

    Knowing better than to let on, Zemo went about his morning as he normally would, paying for his breakfast and thanking Gael for the jar of tea meant for Christine.         He grabbed his book and called out his goodbyes as he left the restaurant.

    With just one stop to make, he quickly went to the bakery, picking up treats for Ansel and bread for Christine to dip in olive oil and cracked pepper as was her newest craving. All of it done calmly and with a smile, just as he would have if the large, rather obvious henchman wasn't following him.

    Zemo could feel the man's lingering gaze trained on his every move as he went about his day. Those cold, dark eyes watched from around corners and now across the plaza hiding in the alley near the parked Mercedes.

    It was irritating that he'd been found, but more insulting that they'd sent this oaf. But then perhaps that was the point. They wanted him to know—whoever they were.

Zemo put the bag from the bakery, the tea and his book in the car as though he might leave, but looked up, making direct eye contact with the man who was still standing in the shadows. He waved hello to the old men outside the cafe as he pretended to have forgotten something and trotted back up onto the sidewalk, before slipping into the dark space between the buildings.

    Moving with military precision and speed worthy of his former ranking of both Colonel and Commander, Zemo pulled his gun with ease, pressing it under his stalkers jaw where the flesh is soft and vulnerable. His other hand, surprisingly strong, held the man back against the stone wall. "Do you have a message for me? Or would you like me to do some shopping for you?" He chided.

    Looking like the direct descendent of an early cave dweller with his protruding brow bone and obnoxiously large chin, the other man just grinned down at the Baron showing his gold teeth

    "Already delivered" He snarled.

    Fuck, he reeked of Madripore. It made the Barons stomach turn to be so close to someone from that place. The tattoos, the clothing, the acrid smell around him — it was enough that Zemo's eyes went wide on realizing who sent this beast. It took everything he had not to shoot the bastard then and there but he needed clarity. "Forgive me, the message must have been lost... drown out by your heavy breathing and stomping." He said insulting the assassin's lack of skill.

    The man laughed and turned his head to spit before looking back down at Zemo. "Let me turn up the volume." He replied, leaning into the gun. "Better hurry home comrade. The Power Broker made a special delivery, just for you. Wouldn't want that pretty wife or cute kid of yours finding it first."

    His warning struck Zemo like a whip and he nearly shot the man as a natural reflex, but came to his senses quickly enough not to alert the entire village. Instead he quickly hit him with the butt of his gun—a perfect blow to the temple— and stepped back letting the body fall.

    Zemo tucked his weapon and was off, jumping into the car, paying no mind to the curious eyes watching as he sped away from the village square.

    Gripping the wheel his rage giving way to fear, Zemo drove like a mad man, the Power Broker's warning trailing after him.