The Flight

Mood music: Believer by Imagine Dragons

This is kind of a short chapter but a good one :) Chapter 13 will be out soon!

---

      "Y/N!"

      "ELIZA!" Y/N gasped when she whipped around to see Eliza standing in the open doorway. Lafayette, freed from the cuff that had begun to chafe his ankle, stood up and pulled Y/N out into the hallway, following Eliza out the cellar door. They pressed up against the back of the house, all panting, taking in the fresh air. Lafayette scanned the area for movement and Eliza listened for Alexander. 

      Y/N glanced down at her warm hand and saw that it was gripping Lafayette's adjacent hand tightly. Redness colored her cheeks, and Laf glanced at her with a weak smile. He opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by a short man stumbling out of the doorway. Not even a second later the ground next to Eliza burst into flames. 

      The man--"Alexander!" Eliza shrieked--grabbed Eliza's hand and sprinted for the woods. Laf and Y/N took off after them, tufts of grass exploding at their heels. 

      It seemed like it would never end. They scrambled through the forest, desperately trying to shake the redcoats off their tails, but the gunshots and barking of hunting dogs pounded at Y/N's ears for what seemed like hours. She bounded over the wooded terrain, ignoring the ache in her side, Laf helping her over fallen logs and through streams of deep muddy water. Her chest burned and her vision began to cloud. Salty tears filled her eyes and they were blow away just as quickly by the arid wind. Sounds became muffled and she wondered if they had finally lost the soldiers--it was so dark...she couldn't see the trees anymore...all she could smell was clover as it covered her face.... and there was a voice, a voice calling her name...

                                                ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ 

      Lafayette had been carrying Y/N bridal-style for the past half hour after finally getting the Brits off their trail. It was getting light out, and he began to feel a slight burn in his muscles, but he ignored it. Despite having been knocked out when she fell, Y/N looked quite peaceful in his arms, breathing steadily, so Laf chose not to be worried. 

      When they finally broke through into a clearing, he could see Eliza leaning on Alex's shoulder as they stumbled into the plain, framed by the rising sun. Laf smiled softly and chuckled to himself. What a quartet they were--all so plainly in love, but it took each of them quite some time to admit it. He personally was very glad to have gotten his confession off his chest, even if it wasn't the way he'd planned for it to go. It was only a matter of time before Alex and Eliza got together--though, now that he thought about it, he didn't know what they had been up to at the ball. 

      Alexander and Eliza sat down atop a hill overlooking the surrounding area. Laf set Y/N's limp frame next to Eliza, and sat down on the other side, forming an awkward circle. A wave of exhaustion crashed over him. "Where do you think we are?" He murmured. 

      Alex looked up and studied their surroundings. "I'd say somewhere near Saratoga, if I remember correctly. Though--" He scoffed lightly, "--that's a bit ironic, one immigrant asking another to find the way."

      Laf smiled wryly. "I suppose so. I guess, in that case, Miss Schuyler should be able to guide us in the right direction?"

      Eliza, who had been on her knees facing the outside of the circle, turned back around and smirked confidently. "As a matter of fact, I can. My sisters and I would often come to this very field to play when we were young--our mother has friends who live in town. When Y/N wakes up I can show you there and after we find someone we know it will be very simple to get home."

      Alexander and Lafayette quickly tried to conceal their shock, and Eliza laughed at their efforts, twirling her hair playfully. 

      "Don't worry boys. I find my greatest victories are won by those who underestimate me."