The Frenchman

When the Mulligans reached the tavern, Hercules took Y/N's hand.

      "Stay close to me, will you? It's only afternoon, so it shouldn't be too rowdy in there, but I'd feel better if you didn't wander off."

      Y/N nodded, and the siblings made their way inside. It only took them a moment to find a seat, because a good friend of theirs called them over.

      "Yo, Herc! Y/N! Come sit over here, will ya?"

      "Laurens, my man, how are you?" Herc grinned and fist bumped his freckled friend. Then he gestured to the man who was sitting next to John Laurens. "Who's your companion?"

      Y/N barely heard what John said when her Y/E/C eyes connected with the man's hazel ones.

      "This is the Marquis, he's came from France to help serve. He's got a pretty long name so I've been calling him Lafayette or just Laf," John explained.

      "It is very good to meet you," Lafayette smiled shyly, not taking his eyes off Y/N. Y/N blushed.

      John and Hercules, however, did not seem to notice. "He doesn't speak much English yet, but he's a pretty cool guy. Are you guys staying awhile?"

      Y/N finally turned to look at John, much to Lafayette's disappointment. "Yeah, we were waiting for Burr to arrive so we could give him our applications to deliver."

      John nodded. "Have a seat then, I've been waiting for him too. I'm not sure how long he'll be, but it wouldn't do us any harm to get a little cozy, eh?"

      The Mulligans smiled and pulled up two chairs. After ordering a few drinks (Y/N favoring a lemonade), they conversed about enlisting, abolition, and Lafayette's home in France. Y/N may not have been drinking, but her head was in the clouds. She couldn't stop herself from sneaking furtive glances at Lafayette. She didn't speak much French, and she hoped that wouldn't stop her from getting to know him. He seemed to have a decent handle on English, although he did need John's help translating every so often.

      "So, Y/N you are, ah, enrôlement in the war?"

      "Enlisting," John whispered.

      "Right."

      Y/N nodded shyly. "Yeah, I am. I figured they needed more nurses, and maybe another spy. Plus I want to stay with Hercules."

      Well, she didn't really have a choice. She did very much want to stay with Hercules, but seeing as they had no living family that they knew of, she would have had to stay behind alone otherwise. She would have been able to manage the shop herself, and make a steady income, but she would have been quite lonely. Plus I might as well be helping our country, she thought.

      "Well, if it isn't Aaron Burr, sir!" John stood up to greet the infamous graduate of Princeton, who had approached their table. "I didn't think that you would make it!"

      Burr chuckled. "To be sure. By the way, I'd like you guys to meet someone. Mister Alexander Hamilton," he gestured to the shorter man beside him. Everyone introduced themselves, and Burr and Hamilton joined the table. The six of them talked late into the night, Lafayette doing his best to keep up, although both Alexander and John spoke French, so it wasn't too difficult. He did wish that Y/N knew a little more French, but he figured he could teach her. He wasn't quite sure what to make of a woman who wanted to join a war, but he could see that she was very passionate about fighting for freedom. He was enthralled by the fire that lit her bright Y/E/C eyes every time the conversation shifted back to the war. Y/N didn't like that the conflict had to come to violence, which is why she wanted to be a nurse: to help people. It was incredibly inspiring, Lafayette thought.

      "Well, I must be going," Burr said, standing up. Y/N handed him the applications that she and Hercules had written, and John fished around for his. Y/N had attached a private letter to the commander-in-chief, figuring that Washington would need some background if she really wanted to be hired. She had no doubt that her brother would be accepted, but she was in a much more vulnerable place.

      Everyone exchanged goodbyes with Burr, and after a bit more conversation, it was evident that everyone was pretty exhausted. Y/N nudged her brother, whose eyes were drooping. He blinked, and cleared his throat. "Well, Y/N and I had best be off," he said. "It was great meeting you, Hamilton, Lafayette. Always good to see you, John."

      "You as well, Monsieur Hercules," Lafayette stood, as did the other men. Turning to Y/N, Lafayette placed a kiss on her knuckles. "And it was, how you say, wonderful to meet you, Mademoiselle Y/N." Y/N blushed furiously, while Lafayette grinned.

      Not to be outdone, Hamilton and Laurens both kissed Y/N's hand on their way out. Hercules rolled his eyes. "Great, am I going to have you three competing for her now?"

      Y/N swatted him, her face on fire. Lafayette silently cursed himself, but calmed down when Hamilton spoke up.

      "Don't worry Herc. While Y/N may be lovely, I've only just arrived in New York. I need to give the rest of the ladies here a chance, right?"

      The men laughed, and the five of them headed for the door. Y/N, however, was glad that Lafayette had reached her first.

      She was going to need to learn some French.