Chapter 27 (Aiden)

I give my phone to Lance. When he sees what's on the screen, he white knuckles it.

"This is from today?" Lance asks, clearly pissed.

I shake my head. "Since last week."

"And you didn't tell me?" He looks at me like this was some kind of ultimate betrayal.

"I'm telling you now. Did you think my dad would ignore the fact that I haven't been home in over two weeks."

Lance clicks on the messages, he scrolls through. I try to take it from him but he holds firm.

"Don't read it." I say sternly. "I made that mistake today."

Lance looks from me to the phone, "If you don't want me to see it, I won't." He hands the phone back to me. "You're not going back there. Ever."

He pulls out of the parking lot. We drive in silence for awhile. I check the time on my phone, it's almost seven. I peek outside the window as the trees and houses rush by. I roll down the window and let the cool wind rustle through my hair. It feels good. For a minute, I forget about the crappy day I've had and just enjoy the moment. About 15 minutes go by and we haven't gotten to his house yet.

"Lance, where are we going?" I turn to him, perplexed. It usually didn't take more than ten minutes to get to his place, but we're going on twenty.  He smiles my way and keeps driving. I'm getting anxious, I don't like surprises.

We pull into a parking structure. He parks, gets out, and walks over to my side. He opens the door. What is he thinking? I sit there and stare at him, he stares back, leaning against the door.

"Babe, don't make me carry you." He runs the back of his neck with slumped shoulders. "I'm tired, I want to get this done tonight, so please." He extends his hand to me. I take it.

He pulls me up but the seatbelt catches me and yanks me back into the seat. I can't help but laugh and he follows suit.

"I got it." He bends down over me and unclicks the seatbelt. His heat radiates onto my body. His arm snakes around my middle as he tugs me from the car, body pressed to his. His hand slips into mine. He pulls me past the automatic doors into the brightly lit mall.

"So this is where you wanted to take me? Why not just tell me."

We walk together through the various shops, hand in hand.

"So, why are we here?" I ask, looking up at Lance as we step onto an escalator.

"You need clothes, we're gonna get them."

I look up at him surprised. "You don't have to do that. It's fine, I'll go home and get-"

His hand tightens on mine. "No. You said it yourself you don't want to go back there, and I wouldn't let you anyway." He pauses a moment as we step off the escalator and head into a large retail store.  "I want to do this for you, so let me."

We've argued enough today so I just nod my head in agreement. He flashes me another one of his million dollar smiles and walks me to the men's section. We scan through jeans and T-shirts. Lance picks out a white button up with a blue anchor print. He hands it to me along with a pair of ripped midnight jeans, some others, and a few solid color tees. He ushers me over to the fitting room.

"I know my size, no need to try this stuff on. Plus, it's already late."
He gets a number from an employee and, ignoring everything I just said, hangs the clothes up in the white walled room.