Chapter 25 (Aiden)

I lie down on Lance's chest, feeling it rise and fall as he breathes. I've been curious about how his conversation with Connor went, but after the incident at the park, I didn't want to bring it up. Something tells me Lance won't, at least not now. And as much as I hate to ruin the moment,

"So, what did Connor say?"

He raises up, forcing me to move. Yep, moment ruined.

"It went well. Kinda great actually."

Now that's a shocking answer. Great? Really? As far as I knew, that guy hated my guts enough to ruin my school life and kick my ass, so...great?

"Seriously?" I ask, beyond skeptical.

"Yeah. He even wants to get to know you. He feels bad about what happened your freshman year and all he wants is for me to focus on football so I don't fuck things up for us this season."

I look at him in disbelief. There was no way he could actually believe this?

"I don't trust him."

Lance sighs and takes my hands into his. "He's been a good friend to me. I know you have doubts, I do too, but he's really not a bad guy."

"Not a bad guy!? He kicked me and almost choked me to death! Now you want me to be all buddy buddy with him? I can't believe what I'm hearing."

I wrench my hands away from him, standing up in anger. Of all the people that have fucked me over, I wasn't expecting Lance to be one of them.

"Aiden, please, calm down." He stands up, trying to take my hand, but I pull it away. "Aiden!"

"No! You can't expect me to just make friends with that asshole!"

"Aiden, please, calm down. I'm not forcing you to do anything. "

A knock on the door silences the room. "Are you boys alright? I can hear your yelling from downstairs." Lance's mom says, concerned.

"We're fine mom. Sorry. We'll quiet down." He says, taking a hard glance at me.

"Look, if you don't want to then fine. I know you don't like it but he's my friend and I was hoping you guys could put this shit behind you for my sake." he says with a sigh, sitting back down on the bed.

Great. Now I feel bad. I walk over to him and wrap my arms around his neck, resting them on his shoulders.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have yelled. It's just... I feel like I just got blindsided just now."

"Blindsided? Babe, if I walked you into the cafeteria and over to his table without this conversation, that would be blindsiding you. That's exactly what I'm trying to avoid." He pulls me by the waist, into him. His head rests on my chest. "I'm not your enemy, babe. And if you don't want to then I'll respect that, I'll let him know. But..."

"But?"

"But, I was really hoping you would give him one more chance. At first he wanted me to break up with you-"

"Not helping his case."

"Let me finish." His eyes lock with mine, hands still resting on my waist. "I told him there was no way, but he thought you would somehow ruin my life. He was trying to look out for me, even if he went about it the wrong way, he was just trying to help me. Unfortunately, it was at your expense."

"Still not helping." I say, looking down on him with mild agitation at what I just heard. Somehow, I'd ruin his life.

"Not done yet. When I told him how much I liked you, and how I'd work my ass off on that field from now on to keep you safe, he let up. He agreed because he knew how happy I was, how happy I am, with you, and I don't think he wanted to take that away."