Chapter Ten

"Shit."

     Alaska reached for her phone and Angel lunged forward, snatching her wrist in a tight grip. "Listen to me please." He begged. Alaska snatched her hand away from him and jumped away from the table as Angel rounded it.

     His face nearly crumpled. "You think I'd hurt you?"

     Alaska scowled at him. "I don't know what the fuck to think Angel. You've been working with them. The whole time?" Her wrist was hurting now, and she could only rub it in mock comfort.

     "Let me explain." He spoke softly.

     Alaska shook her head. "Get away from me, give me my phone." She snapped. Angel held the phone up out of her reach and shook his head.

     "Not until you let me-"

     "Explain what, Angel? How you've been fucking lying to me for months? What else do you need to say? More lies?" Alaska's vision was blurred by tears and when she went to wipe them, she missed Angel dropping the phone, pulling her towards him so he could pull her out of the kitchen.

     "Get off!" Alaska shrieked.

     "Fucking stop, quierda!" He growled. "In the room, let's go." He pulled a struggling Alaska to her bedroom in fear that Moby would wake up and come outside.

     "No!" She attempted to dig her heels into the floor to keep him from dragging her further, but to no avail. "Fucking- Let go!"

     Once in the room, Angel dropped her on the bed and locked the door. "Boy you done lost yo mothafuckin' mind, grabbing on me like that!" Alaska brushed her hair out of her face. Angel stood with his back against the door and pinched the bridge of his nose.

     "Watch your fucking mouth-"

     "No, I'm finna read yo ass- What you're not going to do is talk to me outta the side of your neck. I'll slap the shit outta you."

     Angel laughed, humorlessly and rolled his eyes. "You better chill, cause you know you ain't like that." He attempted to call her bluff.

     "Baby, I promise I'm like that. Keep fucking playing with me." Alaska pointed her finger at him with a scowl on her face.

     She grew up in Charming and went to predominantly white schools. There were too many days she came home with bruised knuckles and her shirt torn because she had to remove her name out of some plantation barbie's mouth.

     When she was hanging around Oakland and started seeing a local gangbanger, she had to redirect a few lost girls who thought they could get staticky and take him from her.

     Alaska was like that, and it seemed like people were forgetting, but she'd get em right.

     "Look... this whole thing," Angel sighed. "Me, Coco, Gilly and EZ have been working with the Rebels in their attempt to push Galindo out of Mexico. None of this was supposed to hurt you, but when you took the job offer with Galindo-"

     "So this is what this is huh? This whole fucking relationship, just a strategic opportunity." Alaska wiped the oncoming tears away harshly, refusing to meet Angel's eye. "Of course."

     Angel moved to sit on the bed and peered at her face. "That's not what this is. Don't fucking play with me."

     "Who the fuck are you talking to? I wasn't the one who's been working with the people that took Moby, right?" She sneered, pushing him away from her.

     "I swear to you, I didn't know they were going to take him. I went there myself looking for him!" Angel was angry, but mostly at himself. He knew he should have told her the truth from the start, but it was the happiest he'd been in a while, and he didn't want anything ruining that.