Emily's Letter

Emily’s P.O.V

I got out of Auto shop early. I was worried when Nick and Joe didn’t turn up, so I’m in the music room on my own. I sat down at the piano and started to play the music to my song Slow Me Down, when the door opened. I looked up and there stood Mr. Black. He would always come to visit me when I was little. I jumped up and gave him a hug.

Emily – "What are you doing here?"

Mr. Black- "Well Em, I have a letter from your parents."

I felt my mouth drop and my legs start to shake. He put a hand on my shoulder to steady me.

Mr Black – "Now before you ask how I knew them, your mum was like a little sister to me we lived next door as kids. One day she came to me and handed me this. She said that if something should happen to her, that I was to give you this."

He handed me an old, yellowing envelope. I felt tears forming in my eyes and Mr Black spoke again.

Mr Black – "But when I went to give it to you, you had been taken into a family and I didn’t want to ruin that for you. You deserve a family."

I felt the tears form in my eyes and I quickly blinked them away. Mr Black kissed my head and left the room. I stared at the letter in my hand, but I didn’t open it. Instead I put it in my bag and went back to the piano. I placed my fingers on the keys and picked up from where I had left off. When I was almost at the end, I noticed three shadows by the door. I knew it was the boys. I waited for them to walk in, but they didn’t. They just stood there listening. Eventually I gave up and stopped playing.

Emily – "IF YOU BOYS WANTED TO LISTEN, ALL YOU HAD TO WAS ASK!"

They rushed in at once and surrounded me.

Kevin – "Why didn’t you tell us that you could sing?!"

I flinched as he yelled. That’s why people don’t know. They make a big deal out of it.

Nick - "Is that the song Mr. Wayne gave you? And where did he find it? I’ve never heard it before"

My eyes widened. How did he know about that?

Emily- "Yes Mr. Wayne gave it to me. And you’ve never heard it before, because it’s an original. Written by me. I dropped it yesterday when I hit him."

Joe- "Well it’s really good. How come you don’t sing more openly?"

Emily- "Because I chose not to okay?"

I picked up my bag and rushed over to Mr. Wayne, who had just returned to the room.

Emily- "Do you mind if I go home early? I’m not in the mood for music and I got a letter that I would really like to read."

Mr. Wayne- "If I say yes, you have to promise to come and see me tomorrow at lunch. I really would like to help you get some confidence."

I nodded at him and he gave me a note to give to Aunt Janet. I went and collected Rosie from day care, before going to the office and giving Janet the note.

Janet – "What is it with that music class? You never seem to be there, yet you love it so much."

I shrugged at her and signed out before turning to leave. As I did, Rosie was taken from me and I was grabbed by two pairs of arms. I let my instincts take over and within a few minutes, all three attackers where on the floor and Rosie was in my arms. I looked down to see who it was, I saw Nick, Kevin and Joe.

Emily – "Serves them right," I thought to myself, before stalking out to my car.

I drove home and as I pulled up, Lilly walked out. She had a "what happened?" look on her face. I got out of the car all happy and the look changed. I laughed and asked Lilly to watch Rosie, while I did my homework. I walked upstairs in my room and closed the door, locking it behind me. I sat down on my bed and put my bag beside me. I pulled out the letter and open it slowly. As soon as I read the first line, tears sprung in my eyes.

To our precious baby girl…

I honestly can’t believe we finally found you. That’s what makes writing this letter so hard, because knowing that you might have to read it, means that we never got to meet you. It means we never got to tell you that you have a family. But you do sweetheart. You have a family that consists of two loving parents, who never gave up looking for you. You also have three older brothers, one of which happens to be your twin.

Now I know this will probably be a lot to take in. And it’s wrong that you had to find it out in a letter, when your parents should have told it to you. But I want you to know that we love you honey. We always have and we always will.

I also want you to know that giving you up was the hardest decision your father and I have ever faced. We never wanted to do it, but we were told that the chances of you surviving were slim. I couldn’t stand the thought of losing my daughter, so we left you at the hospital and took your brother home. Then we received a call telling us that you had survived and I was over-joyed. Your father and I spend the duration of our days searching for you and we finally found you. But tragically we were taken from you. But I want you to know that you were always in my heart and that I’ll always be watching over you.

So take care my beautiful Emily Skye. Enjoy life and have fun. After all, you only get to live your life once. And also don’t be too harsh on your brothers if they go all protective on you. They only want what’s best for you. Plus their males, they think they know everything, but sometimes they need a female to straighten them out.

I wish I could have got to see you a least once, but remember that we love you and we know that you’ll grow to be a strong, beautiful woman.

Signed your loving parents xoxoxo

By the time I got to the bottom I was sobbing hysterically. I had a family. They loved me and they never stopped looking for me. I have two older brothers and a twin. And I may never meet them! I sobbed for around five minutes before calming down.

I pulled out my homework and completed it in half and hour. I walked out just as Lilly was putting Rosie in her nursery.

Emily – "Lilly!"

She turned to face me and smiled.

Lilly – "What’s up honey?"

Emily – "I was wondering if you had any musical instruments?"

She grinned and led me to a room. The words Music Room were written on the door. I opened it and was shocked at what I saw. I ran over to the baby grand piano in the corner and sat down, totally forgetting that Lilly was standing there. I lifted the lid and randomly start to play. When I finished, I heard Lilly suck in a breath.

Lilly – "Wow! That was beautiful! Why didn’t you mention that you could play?"

Emily- "Because people make a big deal out of it," I said simply.