Chapter 3

“Ah huh” I muttered closing my gaping mouth by taking a long sip from my glass to compose myself. He chuckled again, taking a drink from his glass, but never taking his eyes off of me. It was like the other people in the group had disappeared. Lucky for me movement out of the corner of my eye from one of the other men, a director, brought me back to reality. I wasn’t nearly as smooth as I was before I knew Taylor was there but I was able to focus and answer some questions. Taylor was engaged in what I was saying and never left my side. The group talked about character development and possible castings of certain characters in my book. I guess there was a buzz about the book that I wasn’t aware of. I also learned that I was surrounded by directors. It was easy and exciting talking about how I saw my book transitioning over to film. Taylor said little but stood so close to me that I could feel his warmth. I started depending on the warmth radiating from him. I found myself shifting my weight to lean slightly closer into him when I was a hit with a question I didn’t anticipate.

Slowly one by one the group excused themselves to go talk to other people until I was left alone with Taylor. I had expected him to leave with one of the directors. There had to be better people for him to talk to. And where in the world did Sarah go? I had started glancing the room for her when I got a chance, not finding her. After the last person left, Taylor turned to me smling and said “I wondered how long they would stick around. Normally people only talk to one another for a few moments at these things. That’s one of the reasons why I don’t really like them…But I had to come meet the author of my favorite book.”

“Oh yeah? Who’s that? I haven’t gotten to meet any other authors.” I was sincerely wondering who I hadn’t gotten the privilege to meet yet.  

A slight blush came across his cheeks. “Well Kaley…that’s you actually…you’re my favorite author”

Wow…that was completely unexpected…

After a slight pause he leaned in a little like he was telling me a secret and said “I just didn’t expect you to be so beautiful”

Holy shit! I think I’m going to die…What the hell do I say to that?...He thinks I’m beautiful?!...

Just then Sarah walked up, interrupting my internal freak out. “Well it looks like you kept your word Taylor and looked out for my girl. But I don’t see anyone hear talking to her. Have to get her to meet everyone.” She says with a smile.

He blushed and took one step back.

“Wait where have you been?” I asked

“Well I had a phone call, then I wandered around meeting people, telling them about you. Taylor was right… that’s much more efficient. But now I have several people that are excited to meet you.” She boasted, smiling at Taylor.

Confused I asked “Taylor was right about what?”

“I just suggested that Sarah go get the guests to bring to you rather than you going around selling yourself to everyone else. It takes the pressure off of you a little bit that way.”

“And Taylor’s the one that suggested that he’d stay and take care of you” Sarah added with a nudge to my ribs.

I understood what she was trying to say. But she had to have been wrong. There’s no way that gorgeous man would like me for anything other than my writing skills and that was questionable. I think Taylor understood too because he blushed a deeper shade of red for just a second and looked down. Our response must have been hilarious because Sarah started laughing quietly.

Trying to save both Taylor and I, I quickly said to Sarah “Oh ok. Well he’s doing a great job. So feel free to go bring me people to meet. I’ll be right here with Taylor…if he’s up for sticking around longer?” With the last few words I let my eyes meet Taylor’s.