Clawdius and Neara

Castle Half-Moon was filled with the sounds of celebrations, the sound filtered their way up to Clawdius' room as he laid out several shirts on his bed, he stood back and looked closely at them he had to make sure that the one he picked was the best because today was a special day for Neara it was her 18th birthday and Clawdius quietly hoped it would be an important day for him too. He took the easel out of his pocket and laid out the drawing, he painstakingly made sure he portrayed Neara perfectly. He quickly put on his shirt, his head filled with excitement he couldn't wait to meet Neara.

Down in the large dining hall, the birthday girl stood out on the balcony staring over the forest away from the crowd that was starting to drain on her. She looked out over the forest and saw Brightmoon's runestone glowing brightly against the dusk sky.

"So this is where you ran off to your Majesty", Tao said as he came out onto the balcony dressed in his Purrsian uniform.

Neara rolled her eyes, "Don't you start too",

"Well that is your title now", Tao says as he leans on the balcony.

"True but the difference is you and I are friends, you don't have to be so formal with me",

Tao immediately stands up and puts his hand of his heart, "Ah yes, however as your sworn protector it is my duty to address you formally",

Neara laughed, "ok my sworn protector I need to get away from this noise for a while".

"May I walk with you?", Tao asked nervously.

Neara raised an eyebrow trying to read Tao's expression, "Are you sure you didn't want to stay with the nice young man you came with?

"Gabriel is fine he can look after himself for a while, besides I'd much rather spend time with you".

Tao closes the distance between himself and Neara and tenderly tilts her head towards his.

"Tao I....", Neara whispers, her sentence stopped by Tao's lips on hers.

Inside the dining room Clawdius walked through the small crowd still mingling and chatting about the night's events, he asked someone where Neara was and they pointed to the balcony, he took a deep breath and took the small easel out of his pocket and made his way to the balcony, he got excited when he saw Neara's silhouette through the sheer curtains until he finally got out on the balcony and his heart dropped, Neara was kissing that Purrsian brute he could fill his excitement quickly being replaced with hurt and he let the easel drop out of his hand it made a cracking noise as it hit the ground.

The sound was enough to distract Neara and Tao, they both looked in Clawdius' direction. Clawdius locked eyes with Neara, her face dropped immediately

Why? Did she look happy?!

Clawdius' ears drooped and he could feel the emotion rising in his chest, he needed to leave now. He quickly turned around and ran back through the dining room, pushing past people in the process. He could hear Neara calling his name but the tears were now running down his face and the last thing he wanted to see right now was her.

How could I be so stupid!

He could hear Neara's voice getting closer, so he quickly ran outside and whispered an incantation that camouflaged him, Neara came out breathing heavily she looked around frantically and called out his name a few more times, each time hearing his name leave her lips made his heartache even more. But Clawdius held his resolve until Neara eventually gave up and went back inside.

After the display that just occurred Neara couldn't bear the thought of having to walk back through the crowded dining room again, she quietly and quickly made her way upstairs and ran towards her room holding her hand over her mouth to stop herself from crying. She closed her door and rested her back against it, letting herself slide down to the floor as she began to cry uncontrollably.

Clawdius....I'm so sorry.

After what felt like an eternity her crying slowly subsided, she finally got up from the floor and started making her way to the bed, until there was a knock on her door.

"Go Away!".

"Neara, It's me, please open the door", Tao said sympathetically.

Neara turned around and made her way to the door and opened it angrily.

"Neara, I'm sorry...I thought",

Neara didn't need this right now, she slapped Tao across the face,

"Well you thought wrong, Now leave me alone!". With that, she slammed the door in his face.

"I understand I was wrong and I will leave, but I thought you might want this",

Neara sat on her bed in silence as she saw that something was slid under her door, she waited until she heard Tao's footsteps fade away into the distance. She went over and picked up Clawdius' broken easel, running her finger along the crack, she opened the easel and finally saw the drawing that he was working on.

A beautiful portrait of the both of them standing together, she turned the portrait over and her heart broke once she read the message on the back, she sat back down on the floor and broke down as she realised she had broken her best friend's heart.