Chapter 1

It was a sunny morning. A young black cat with white paws was watching ThunderClan warriors return to camp with fresh-kill in their jaws. The young cat licked his lips. He was only one more moon away from being apprenticed. Turning to the other kits, the tom's excitement vanished, as if sucked away from him. All the other kits tussled in the soft grass. The tom sighed and looked away. The others would butt him out and wouldn't allow him to play. The one who told the others what to do was his brother, Blackkit. Blackkit was white with black paws and was the strongest kit.

The black-furred tom swayed his tail from side to side; he wished he could practice with the others. Then
he turned back to the tussling kits. They all paused and turned towards a beautiful pale ginger she-cat: Lightkit. She was the most gorgeous she-kit, and the only she-kit in the nursery. He watched as his brother approached her, his mouth full of golden-colored flowers. The black tom strained his ears to hear the conversation. "For you," Blackkit purred, giving the flowers to Lightkit. But Lightkit looked away. "No thank you, Blackkit," she mewed. Blackkit flattened his ears. Lightkit noticed Blackkit's sadness and meowed to him, "I mean, no offense, but this is the thousandth bouquet I have ever gotten from any of you mouse-brained toms." All the tom kits looked devastated. Lightkit sighed sadly. "I wish I could have a tom who could be my friend and nothing more!"

This is all the young black tom could take. He sat up and padded towards Lightkit. "Who are you?" Lightkit asked as the tom approached. "I-I'm Whitekit," the tom, Whitekit, replied nervously. "You're not holding a bouquet," Lightkit mewed, tilting her head. "Yeah," Whitekit said. "I was just wondering if you want to come to the pond with me. I mean, I get pretty lonely sometimes. So, maybe you could come along..?" Lightkit looked confused. "Well, why don't you hang with the other toms?" Whitekit sighed. "They don't let me." The pale ginger she-kit showed affection in her green eyes. "Okay," she mewed. Whitekit pricked his ears, surprised. "Let's go," she mewed brightly. Whitekit felt a happy glow warmth his chest and snuck towards the forest with Lightkit following. Kits weren't allowed to leave camp until they were apprenticed, but hopefully no cat would notice.