He's coming

She was screwed. No – they were screwed. A city guard was hot on their heels and she was too pretty to get arrested. They round a corner and face a tall brick wall. "It's a dead end." Valkyrie groans.

"It is."

"What do we do now?" Valkyrie risks peering over the corner and spotted their attacker rounding the corner. "He's almost here. He's going to find us and then he's going to arrest us."

"Valkyrie."

"What?"

Skulduggery tilts his head at her. "Valkyrie my dear, a wall cannot limit us when we have the ability to fly."

Valkyrie grins at her partner. "I have a much better plan." She takes a step towards Skulduggery.

"Mm, and what such plan is that?" He was amused.

Valkyrie's smile spreads. "See I would tell you, but I find the element of surprise is much more amusing."

Before Skulduggery could come up with a witty comeback, Valkyrie grabs him by his tie and pulls him to her. She grins against her partner's artificial lips when she feels him tense, holding in a giggle.

She only pulls back when she discovers Skulduggery is still not kissing her back. She tuts at him, her other hand now resting on his cheekbone. "Now that won't do at all, it's like you want to be discovered and I'll be damned if I let you ruin our chance of escape—"

Skulduggery suddenly has his lips on hers, and Valkyrie immediately returns it, humming in her victory. "Oh no, I guess I have no choice then." She can feel him smiling.

With her lips sill pressing into Skulduggery's, Valkyrie opens an eye and catches the sight of the city guard in question. "He's coming now." She murmurs into her partner's mouth.

Skulduggery hums. "Is he now?"

And then he turns, switching their positions so abruptly that causes Valkyrie to gasp. Skulduggery lets out a deep chuckle that has Valkyrie blushing. "Keep kissing me." Valkyrie hates how whiny her voice sounds.

Skulduggery smirks. "As you wish Ms Cain." He pushes Valkyrie into the wall behind her and takes the chance to slip his tongue in. Valkyrie has to suppress a squeal and almost freezes in shock.

Still holding onto Skulduggery's tie, she pulls him closer and lifts a leg around his waist. Skulduggery responds with a grunt of approval. Before she lets herself get even more lost in this trance Valkyrie is suddenly reminded why they were doing this stunt in the first place. Once again, she opens an eye as their pursuer disappears around the corner. Valkyrie can't help the grin that spreads across her lips as she lets the kiss continue for a few more moments, savouring this moment and embedding it into her mind forever. Because Skulduggery was a damn good kisser and she never wanted to stop.

Finally, they separate and look at each other. A long silence overcomes them, and Valkyrie suppresses a blush. "My plan worked." She almost blurts, desperate to break the silence.

"It did. Simply flying over the wall would've worked too."

"But my plan was a lot more fun."

Skulduggery grunts. "If you say so." He taps a sigil and his façade melts away. "Was your plan supposed to have so much moaning involved?"

Her face instantly flushes red. "What? I did- I wasn't!" Why was she stuttering? Valkyrie was used to his teasing.

"Mm, that's not what your face says."

"Shut up." She grumbles.

Skulduggery looks down, adjusts his tie. "Might I say though, you are one terrible kisser Valkyrie Cain."

Valkyrie scoffs. "As if it's me with the terrible skills. Your mouth has been inactive for centuries, you need a lot of practice."

Skulduggery tilts his head. "Is that why you kept kissing me after the city guard was long gone?"

Valkyrie smirks. "Yes, that's it. I took it upon myself to remind my dear partner what it feels like to be kissed. You should be thanking me."

Skulduggery takes off his hat and brushes the rim between two fingers and shakes his head. "Don't lie, it was only a matter of time before you would succumb to my irresistible charms." He flips his fedora back on his skull.  "I mean, who could resist such a specimen." Skulduggery gestures to himself with his hands and it takes all of Valkyrie's self control to not murder him.