Scrutinize (Wednesday)

Anna POV

I needed to go for a wander, just time for myself and just basically wander throughout the city, so that's precisely what I am doing. I had this uneasy feeling in my stomach though as if someone was watching me from afar. The sky was pretty clear, with barely any clouds and warm, and all kinds of cool people surrounded the streets.

Today in the city, a street market was set up with all kinds of stalls, such as hot food, ice cream, Shamballa jewellery, etc. I had no intention of by this cheap shit but the food looked amazing, so I headed to the library as the urge to want to learn more had a pit in my stomach. 

I am not the biggest fan of reading but I'm still curious, there's so much to this world that just fascinates me, like how different it is from the ordinary world. As I browsed through books about demons, magic and other beings, one particular one caught my attention: how different it looked. It was about vampires, which I never really thought existed.

It mentioned the powers and abilities, how they have such a high super strength where they are far stronger than humans, humans with the sight of the floating islands, etc. They have other abilities that consist of super speed, super agility, super senses, and healing ability. After spending possibility about an hour reading, I came across a title called Known Vampires and it went into a lot of detail.

There is a contents page naming real-life vampires, such as Theron, Damien the Bloody, Layla, Arora, Killian, etc. One name though in particular caught my eye as it was marked as dangerous and was on the very last page before the index.

Reese was the name of the vampire, the first thing I saw on the page was a photo of the actor David Tennant and in the description, it read the most fearful and powerful vampire, the first to enter this world. Clever in a dangerous way, manipulative, sadistic. Avoiding him is nearly impossible because you are his next target, you are doomed as he never fails his... I couldn't make out the rest of the writing as it looked like someone crossed out the rest of it with ink or something black. I was the only one in this room and nearly jumped out of my skin.

"Anna!" Jason yelled as he flung the door open behind me and slammed it shut his heavy footsteps echoed in the empty room, and my eyes wide open knowing he was worried. But then again, why do I always feel like everyone has to watch my every move? Am I not allowed to be free to do my own thing? I could tell that his body was tense and that he was infuriated at first but then slowly relieved. 

"I've been scattering around looking for you. You can't just go and disappear like that Anna, I was worried sick!" he said, taking deep breaths and sitting on the table, staring at the floor as the room stayed still.

I didn't say anything, I just stared in silence as he placed a hand on my shoulder and made eye contact with me. Like I said again to myself, am I not allowed to do my own thing when returning to this world? Or go home when I feel like it? He glimpsed down at the book I had my hands over and looked stunned at what I had been reading.

"What made you interested in reading that particular book? This library is full of books, most I haven't read as I don't often come here. Also, I never expected you to be going to the library, but it was Rosetta who told me where you were." he emphasised as he picked up the chair beside me and sat there, wanting to read the page himself.

He just sat there for a moment,  pulled the book closer to him so it would be in between us and began to read it in silence while I awkwardly sat there, browsing on my phone and messaging people on Facebook. 

"Ugh, I have a question" I blurted out, almost choking on my spit, ew gross. He continued to read, not saying a word. Eva told me how Sophie and Tara from class 2T were inhaling cinnamon and destroyed one of the classroom doors by coughing all over it.