The dream (Saturday)

• Dedicated to Anna Pevzner

*In the dream*

Serah POV

Where am I? This place, it's somehow different... but how, I mean, where is everyone? I was in an unusual place, the sky all grey looking and a skeleton was sitting peacefully on the ground against the wall, wearing an old suit and tie. He smoked an old pipe and had a strange green moss growing from his skull, it was almost hair-like.  Well, boi he said with a grin like a dinosaur with hair, a bit crazy looking and forgetful.

"Eh, is this a dream?" I asked him, not even panicking that I was speaking to a literal talking skeleton! He turned his head and looked at me...couldn't tell though, he's a skeleton for god sake.

"You're an element, aren't you?" he responded, standing up and shaking off the dust. "I'm Dead by the way, nice to meet you and yes, this is a real dream"

He put out his hand...I didn't shake it, just looking at his sockets from where he would've had eyes.

"Yes, yes, I am an element but my name is-"

"Anna, I know" he interrupted, walking down a steep staircase that led to nowhere, I mean nowhere!

I stared at him blankly and he waited for me. I followed him until we got to a pub. We went in and he sat at the counter. There was somebody washing glasses, another person blending drinks, and ice, huge amounts of individuals talking, and there were stairs on the left which led somewhere. An unusual match was on the TV and people cheered when a team just scored.  

"You're finally awake Dead," the bartender said, pouring him a glass of beer. "Who's this Dead?"

"Oh, sorry, her name is Anna... something "Dead introduced me, taking a good chug from the beer, wait, how is he drinking it when... I don't even want to know why actually.

"So is this a dream after all" I muttered, sitting beside Dead and looking around. It was pretty busy, this pub was huge and there were people with suitcases, lining up to a part of the bar on a different part of the room and they headed upstairs, carrying a key card. This must be a pub you can stay at, where else would they be going?

"You've been saying is this a dream over and over in your head so it must be a dream... oh know, you're dreaming that you're somewhere, tell me, do you have your weapons on you?" Dead asked. I shook my head and  took a sip of my coke. "What's your name again?"

I stared at him and just muttered "Oh my god" and sighed.

"Anna, you do realise that you're in a dream where everything is real? "Dead explained, placing his bony hand on my shoulder, taking a big gulp of beer and swallowing it.

The way Dead spoke to me, "Well boi", that's Kilkenny slang, it just means hello, boy... did he call me a boy? Well, listening to him telling a story about how he went cruising downtown in a tank with balls of fire, flaming brightly that surrounded him, shouting at people who were standing around him on the paths, shouting 'So long suckers, haha'. He's crazy!

"How do 'ye spell word? "Dead asked, looking at the crossword on a newspaper beside him, looking at the bartender who wasn't paying attention at all and just working away, then Dead looked back to the newspaper and then looked at the floor.

"Are you serious? "The bartender asked, washing the dishes. Dead nodded" By the way Dead, you forgot to introduce someone"

"You're right, girl, this is Timothy, this is Zac, this is Maggie, this Ezio, this is Andy, they are Doc, Zeke, Bruce, Nadimir, Oisin, Ralf, Erica, Dawn and...... a bunch of other people I don't know," he said, introducing and pointing out random people I've never met. "Oh, the bartender is Phil O'Neil"