philosophy

It was too bright outside.

The snow was not going to stop falling anytime soon. It heavily, yet soundlessly it plummeted to the ground, covering any spot where grass could grow. It sprinkled the trees and coated driveways, hiding ice under it's downy deception. From inside the classroom, you almost didn't need to turn on any lights because the light reflecting from the quickly rising sun was, as one could only describe as blinding.

"You have less than a month to complete your semester projects." Professor Erwin projected to the class. It was the Wednesday morning before Thanksgiving break, meaning the majority of the school was eager to finish the school day. The frigidness and the raw leather scent of Professor Erwin's classroom fleeced your groggy mind of the urgency you typically required.

You lazily dragged your gaze to Armin. His eyes seemed to wait for you to look his way. Armin looked like he hadn't slept in years. Funny enough, that would make two of you. You may have been smart, but that did not make you wise. The entire week you stayed up far too late reading Dracula and Dante's Inferno. The two stories were both frightening but for different reasons. Thus, being the reason you skipped out on sleep. You thought, maybe Armin and you could catch up on sleep together- but that didn't sound right.

You hoped Dr. Jaeger was taking care of Mr. Arlert. Recently, Armin turned eighteen, making him no longer dependent on his grandfather. You guessed Armin or Dr. Jaeger called for assisted living at Armin's house, since he was old enough to be independent. It would be an alternative to a nursing home. 

Still, the project needed to be finished so you both could study for finals during the last few weeks of the semester. Both you and Armin were just as dedicated to getting perfect score.

"Library?" you suggested with your chin resting on your arm.

Armin shook his head, "Sorry, (Y/N). I have a swim meet."

You looked down, reluctantly disappointed. You coldly complained, "What an inconvenient time for a swim meet..."

Armin's eyes sadly sunk at your disappointed frown. Swimming was a demanding sport. The meet was likely against a smaller team so counting scores wasn't going to take as long to finish. Of course they decided to compete the day before Thanksgiving. 

"We really need to finish it though... what time is it over?" You asked.

"Probably like seven or eight. But I'm only swimming two events so maybe I can leave early. Usually, Coach doesn't let us leave, but I think I can talk him into it."

You perked up at his suggestion, "Cool, you can come to my house and we can wrap up the project. Sound good?"

His sleepy scowl melted into a sweet smile. He nodded, "Yeah, sounds good."

Professor Erwin ambled around the classroom, licking the tips of his fingers as he passed back graded tests and assignments. He finished passing back the latest quiz over rhetoric, which you scored higher than Armin on. The assignments that worried you were the test and book report over The Scarlet Letter.

"Well done, Mr. Arlert," Professor Erwin warmly greeted. He handed him his test and rubric graded side up. You refrained to peek until you received yours. He carried down the opposite side of the column, making you one of the last students to receive your grade.

"Very nice, Miss Leonhardt."

"Perhaps we should read the story next time, Mr. Jaeger."

He skipped accolades to few students. Professor Erwin knew it made them tick. Maybe it would inspire them to work harder.