Chapter Fourteen - New Batch

(Spring, 346, Wall rose)

Teenagers were always an issue for the scouts. They're needy and emotional, and sensitive. But since the corps is a shortage of scout members, us squad leaders had no option but to negotiate with them.

Yes, you heard right, squad leader. After Wall Maria was demolished, I'd realized that I would have done anything to save not only my parents but my entire town. And as ridiculous as it sounded, Commander Erwin acknowledged my drive to save the lives of others, even if it meant hurting my own. And so, he went on to appoint me as a Squad Leader. During this time, I found it susceptible to learn all I needed to about being a leader from Hange. Moreover, my promotion in the corps meant everything to me.

But I hadn't realized that I would be reliving years of my childhood to be even close to understanding our new batch of trainers.

-
The day before:

"Come on, Erwin. I'm responsible enough to accompany my own party, " I assert to my Commander, but it doesn't make much of a difference. He stays standing tall, looking down at me with the rest of his assistants, while I make a complete mess of myself on the wooden table. My hands grip the edges in frustration, wanting nothing but another chance to show my leadership.

However, it seemed that wasn't the issue. Erwin shuts his eyelids, putting his vast palms towards me. "I'm sorry, Y/n. It seems that we have to take on many of the more complicated trainees. Regardless of your skills as a Squad Leader, I'm afraid the number of soldiers in your troop is far too little to proceed with our war currently, " he explains to me, leaning closer towards my assertive expression, before whispering, "and you don't need to worry. These kids have more pure potential to fulfill their job. But I will need somebody like you to help keep them in order or our chance of having freedom won't come to be."

-

If dear Commander hadn't stressed how serious this job was, I most likely wouldn't have been able to last a day with these kids. But thankfully, I told myself to be considerate of their youth. Besides, some of them weren't too bad. As others made me question my job.

Others like Eren Yeager: a pretty-eyed boy, furious boy. He was the son of Grisha Yeager, a well-known doctor back when Wall Maria was standing tall. In fact, he and my parents used to work together. But unlike his parents, he was nothing but trouble. Everywhere he went, conflict followed.

Behind the conflict was Mikasa Ackerman, who was quite a wonder to the survey corps. Not only did she have raw power similar to her cousin, well-known Levi, but she was very protective of her fellow scouts. Although the two were pure opposites, they were both inseparable. For a reason unknown, Mikasa never let Eren get ahead of himself, no matter how hard he'd push.

One other scout that sought out trouble with Grisha's son was Jean Kirsten, a reliable and defensive young man, simply because they both had fixed their eyes on Mikasa. But other than that, Jean was a strong teammate and a friendly boy.

Beside Jean was Marco. Marco was a strategizing and kind soldier who always made sure to have everyone back, and I didn't doubt that he would make a great addition to the survey corps.

Then, there was Armin, who was one of Eren's childhood companions. Aside from his skittish demeanor, Armin showed much potential meanwhile training. After informing him that his grandfather and I knew each other, arm in became fond of me, which was something I was happy about. If I have to admit, Armin was one of my favorite trainees.

Another two of my favorite scouts were Connie and Sasha, two nutty teenagers who still kept their goals in place. If you needed a good laugh, Sasha and Connie were the kids to go to. A while after they adjusted to life as pre-scouts, their friendship grew immediately, giving everybody a sense that there all still human and can savor small moments like the ones they gave you.

Although they're good fighters, it doesn't hide the fact their personalities are all very expressive and get in the way of our objective sometimes. However, Levi and I were assigned to keep them in order after they would graduate from the Training Corps, which was soon coming to an end.

"Hm, are you doing alright?" a small knock was heard on the office door frame, provoking my focus on the teen's resumes to go towards them. "You've been in there for more than twelve hours, Y/n. Are you sure you don't wanna take a break?" Moblit is seen stepping towards my sitting posture, putting one hand on my shoulder. "Hange and Levi say you've been overworking yourself, you know."

I roll my eyes, putting down the small pen in my hand, and replacing it with his. "They act as if they don't do it either, Moblit. Was Hange the one who sent you over here?" I ask the blonde boy. At times I felt as if I didn't deserve Moblit after everything that had happened. I thought I knew what I wanted, which was him, but once I had seen what happens when I distance myself from Hange, I can't help but revert to giving them my full attention. I simply wasn't ready to be in love with someone other than my best friend. But thankfully, he stuck as a close friend to Hange and me.

"No, it was instinct. But how about you go interact with them instead of sitting here trying o do your research on them?" He scrunches locks of my hair at top of my head, which I quickly begin to fix afterward.

Moblit was right. If I really wanted to get to know them, there was nothing better to do than to see them in person. After all, these were most likely the kids that I'd be raising for the rest of their childhood.

I did not doubt that our scouts weren't the most talented I'd seen in a while. You know, they reminded me all of each other. I think that's why I had grown so fondly to each of them, because no matter what, I saw you in each of them, Hange.

-

Thank you for reading :) I hope you all enjoyed
I know this chapter wasn't Hange full but I wanted to introduce the survey corps members a bit thoroughly. Anyway, have a good rest of your day! Love you

- estrxlar