Marvin's Therapy

Mendel

"So I gave Marvin 'the talk'," Trina tells me one evening when we're at my apartment, as usual. "Apparently he already knew from Whizzer, but he was pretty thrilled." 

"Cool," I reply. I'm maybe a little jealous of the baby's biological father, but I'll probably be spending more time with it anyway. 

"Anyway, sorry, we can change the subject. I don't want everything to be about something that hasn't even happened yet," she says apologetically. 

"You have a point. So what do we talk about?" 

"Why don't we schedule a time when we can all hang out? Like, with our friends? When's the next Jewish holiday?" 

"The 15th of Shevat," I say immediately, "but that's in almost a month." 

"Okay, well, let's not wait until February. What about general holidays?" 

"Or we can just ask them when they're free?" 

"Good idea," she says. 

"So when are you free?" I ask Marvin on a nice afternoon soon afterward. 

"Mendel, this is a therapy session, can you not?" 

"Okay, sorry. I just wanted the six of us to hang out again, since we're better friends now, and Thanksgiving was all... all over the place." 

"Okay, well, you guys can come to my apartment any time. And Charlotte and Cordelia only live next door. And Whizzer will probably definitely be around," he offers, before quietly adding, "God, he's there all the time, isn't he?" 

"You guys are still getting along after what I did?" 

"Not that it's any of your business as my psychiatrist..." Marvin raises an eyebrow. "...but we fought for about a week before making up. Oh, and he said he loved me. We've been together four months!" 

"How did that make you feel?" I ask. 

"I got terrified," he admits. "We've never said that before, I mean, to each other." 

"I don't need to know if you've told my girlfriend you loved her." 

"Well, obviously, I didn't. As I was about to say, is it too early?" 

I'm about to remind him I'm his psychiatrist, not his relationship consultant, but instead I do a quick Google search. "Apparently the majority of people say 'I love you' within the first three months of a relationship." Damn it, Trina and I aren't there yet. "On average, research has found men take three months to say it... well, you're both men, so maybe the expected time was a month and a half?" 

"That's definitely not how it works." 

I shift the subject slightly. "Well, do you love him? Because you can say it whenever it feels right." I wish I were giving myself that advice. 

"I do, but it doesn't feel that easy under pressure! It should be easier, but it's not!" 

I'm intrigued. "So does that mean it'd be less difficult to be the first one to say it?" 

"It shouldn't be, but it feels that way..." Marvin notices my thoughtful face. "Oh, no. What are you thinking?" 

"Huh? Nothing. Your time's almost up." 

"Great, we've just been talking about this stupid thing the whole time." Marvin gets up and leaves, without a goodbye, even though it wasn't time yet. 

While he's gone, I do some thinking. Yep, it's for sure. I love Trina. 

Marvin

"So have you guys been on a date with Mendel and Trina yet?" Whizzer asks Charlotte and Cordelia when we're all at my apartment. 

"Yeah, but it didn't really help," Cordelia answers. 

"Help with what?" I pipe up. 

"Oh, nothing." 

"We can tell him, right?" says Whizzer. 

Cordelia hesitates. "I guess so. It was just kind of special with the three of us." 

"What was this?" I ask. 

Char speaks up. "You remember our group text conversation—about feeling like an old married couple and how that's not very good?" 

"Oh, yeah, I don't care too much about that. It's okay." 

We go on talking for a while, then I remember how Mendel wanted to be included. Thinking of Mendel makes me think of something else, and I decide to do something. 

"Hey, Whizzer? Can I see you alone for a sec?" 

This is my chance to tell him I love him. But I get carried away. I guess we've both been kind of deprived in the past week. Let's just say it ends up similar to Thanksgiving, including the fact that I didn't say "I love you". 

We come back far too late. Charlotte looks over at the two of us. "Come on, really? Again?" 

"No," Whizzer lies. 

Ugh. I guess I'll do it when we're really alone.