Choosing a Name (Quickly)

Trina

You never realize how amazing it is to be holding your newborn son until you're holding your newborn son. 

I'm so glad this whole thing is over. It was so stressful planning the way we were going to work this whole family thing out, especially while I was pregnant. But in this new chapter, we're going to stop talking the talk and actually be a family. 

Although I'm not denying that we haven't become a family already in the past months. 

I look at my baby, with his pinkish skin and dark hair, almost asleep on my chest. Gosh, am I glad I decided to keep him. 

Whizzer pops in unexpectedly. "Hey, Trina." 

"Hi," I say, a little surprised that he's come in. 

"I just... I had an idea for his name, if you haven't picked anything yet." 

"I didn't pick anything. I could use help. Shoot." 

"Jason? I thought of it back when I thought he could be 4 months late. And after the months' initials...you know."  

Honestly, the name itself fits. And when I agree with this, I'm not just humouring my ex's lover after seeing how upset he was. I'm truly agreeing with Jason's name. 

"It's cute," I add. 

"He's also probably going to be a playboy in the future," says Whizzer. 

I look up at him. "And is that a good thing?" 

"We'll see. I'll leave you with Jason, okay?" 

"The baby or the name?" 

"The name." 

"Could you leave me with the baby Jason, too? I'm just taking some time with him to take this all in." 

He smiles as he leaves. "You're already warming up to the name, aren't you?" 

"I'm trying not to let what you said ruin it." 

And just like that, I'm alone again. With Jason. 

Charlotte

Cordelia, Marvin, Mendel, Whizzer and I are in the hospital waiting room after Trina gave birth. My girlfriend and I are desperate to see the baby. 

"I'm sure you can," says Mendel. "Sorry you weren't able to make it when he was being born." 

"Oh, that's fine," Cordelia assures him. "We wouldn't have wanted to crowd you, anyway." 

"I think the nurse would have been more annoyed than us," Marvin mentions. 

"True," Mendel agrees. "True." 

"So how was it? Did it go, like, smoothly, at all?" I ask. 

"Pretty much. It was kind of quick, I guess. Let's see. The labour started—or, at least, she first noticed it—around 2:30 or 3 this morning. And it's... ooh. 4 PM." 

"It's 4 PM?!" Whizzer questions him. 

"Yeah... that's what I just said." 

"Wow. I didn't know it was so late, that's all. Oh, Trina and I named him Jason, by the way." 

"What?!" Marvin cuts in. "You named him without me?!" 

"It was just an idea, but she went for it, so I guess that's his name," his boyfriend explains. 

"I don't see anything wrong with it. I like the name Jason," offers Mendel. 

"Yeah, me too, although I don't really have a say in it," Cordelia agrees. "It's pretty cute." 

"That's what Trina said, and then I told her it was a playboy name," says Whizzer. 

"Hey, so can we see him?" 

"Can I see him, please?" Marvin asks desperately. 

Whizzer gives him a look. "Stop. Quoting. Hamilton." 

"Yes, you can see him," Mendel tells me, ignoring the other guys. "I'll just ask Trina if we can come up now." He texts her. 

Mendel

The moment Trina says yes, the five of us are through the door. I haven't seen my son in so long, I kind of forgot what he looked like. But then again, newborn babies kind of all look the same, so it's nothing personal. 

"Oh, my God, he's so cute!" Cordelia enthuses. 

"Is his name still Jason?" Marvin asks. 

"Can I hold him?" requests Charlotte. 

The next few days are just like this, but with more questions. Legend says that Charlotte still hasn't gotten to hold him.  

Even after we come home, Whizzer is making sure to spend as much time with his son as possible. I get it. He doesn't want to feel as distant as he did during the pregnancy. 

"Hey, thank you for helping out with the baby," I tease him one day when he's at my and Trina's apartment with Jason. 

"I'm just trying to parent. Don't act like I'm a sitter." 

"God, this has been a roller coaster, hasn't it?" I ask to shift the subject. 

"Yeah. I'm glad it's over. Unlike with real roller coasters," he points out. 

"Oh, you have a point. Well, try living with Jason. There's still as much stress as there was before." 

Whizzer smiles. "I can't wait to try living with him." 

"For God's sake, I can't convince you of anything." 

"Hey, so what about your thing with Marvin?" he grills me. "Are you still his psychiatrist?" 

"Kind of. I mean, we see each other, but it's not as professional as before. I think you were right that time at the yard sale. He just doesn't feel the need for therapy at the moment." 

"And that's good." 

"Yeah. He will need therapy soon, though." I look at Jason, who's still in Whizzer's arms. 

"If you can't handle the baby, I'll take him," offers my co-parent. 

"No. You can go home now." 

"I'm not ready." 

"Fine."