Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight ;; Writers Block

A Month Later

            “You ready?”

            I nodded, “Ready. Nervous, but ready.”

            “You’ll be fine.” Kurt assured, “Your teachers know what not to talk about when they’re around you.”

            “That’s not what I’m worried about,” I confessed, “I totally humiliated myself on my very first day.”            

            “You’ll be fine, Angel.”

            “Why do you call me that?” I blurted.

            Kurt just shrugged, “Because. It’s what you are.”

            “I am no angel.”

            He grunted, “That’s your opinion.”

            “It’s the truth.”

            Kurt put the Jeep in park and got out, with me close behind. Clutching my bag close to me, I stayed on his heels the whole way into the school. There were murmurs of surprise as we made our way through diligently, but I made it a point not to acknowledge them. The only time I let go of Kurt’s hand was when I got to my first period class. “I’ll see you at lunch, okay?” he said.

            I nodded, “Okay, see you then.”

~*~

            With five minutes left in my fifth period class, a girl next to me started talking.

            “I’m Kes.”

            “Kes?”

            “Yeah.”

            “I’m Kali.” I said, working up a smile.

            “I know. Everyone knows who you are.”

            I sighed, “Of course they do.”

            She shook her head, “I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said it like that.”

            I shrugged it off, “No it’s fine, really, I understand.”

            She smiled, “Anyways, I just wanted to say that I really admire you for staying strong despite everything you’ve gone through.”

            Instinctively, I pulled my sleeve down further.

            The bell rang and I bee-lined it out of the classroom and towards the lunchroom. I wanted nothing more than to be with a familiar face. I rounded the corner and immediately ran into what might as well been a brick wall. I looked up at the brick wall and pasted on a sarcastic smile, “Thanks for that.”

            He flashed a model worthy smile, “No problem.” He held a hand out for me to take, but I ignored it a quickly gathered my books.

            “I see you’re also fluent in sarcasm too.” I commented.

            He nodded, “I’m Jace.”

            “Kali.”

            “You’re cute. You new?”

            I nodded, “Yeah.”