Chapter 5: Break it gently

It was ten in the evening and lights from a number of floating restaurants illuminate the Chao Phraya river. Amanda was admiring the colorful rippled reflection on water as she stands near the edge of Shangri-La's viewing deck. She just concluded a private dinner with some of Miss Universe Thailand Organization's sponsors and it was time for her to unwind even for a short while.

The night was serene and beautiful. A faint relaxing lounge music can be heard where she's standing.
Sipping coffee from the white cup in her hands, Amanda looked at the bright moon above her. She smiled as Earth's lone satellite cast a mild luminance across her face. She wonders if this is how it feels like if a fairy sprinkles golden dust on her.

Faint sound of heels clicking made the Thai beauty shift her head to an attractive young lady. Her gold sleeveless number hugging the curves of her body. She's stunning.

"Hey stranger. You look like you need company,"

Amanda flashed her pearly whites at the other woman, "If I didn't know you better, I would assume you're stalking me,"

The other woman shrugged, "you're not a bad target to stalk—you're pleasing to the eyes. I might even ask you out for dinner one night"

"Don't even try, Veena. I might take that offer especially with how things are messing up my head," Amanda chuckled while pointing one of her finger at the other woman.

Veena's eyes widened as her red lips curve into a grin,"I'm always a call away if you need a good time" she winked.

"Seriously though, how are you Pra? What's messing your head?" the other Thai woman asked.

Amanda turned to face the river again, inhaling the night breeze of air, "Do you ever feel like—did you ever feel like you're trapped in a situation wherein you wanted to get out of something, but couldn't escape so you just continue on hoping that one day it will just—I don't know disappear and let you be I guess. I'm just worried what if I turned into someone who isn't the real me."

Veena tilted her head, "is this the reason why you're drinking coffee instead of wine tonight?" she teased before joining Amanda to face the river. Their shoulders touching, "i think we all need to stay true to our feelings. I may have a vague idea of what you're talking about but I'm going to tell you this, Pra— whatever it is, you have got to face it head-on, stick to your core or truth and march on, because staying around and hoping that it'll let you be might drag you into a rabbit hole for a long time."

She looked at the beauty queen and tucked in a strand of Amanda's hair behind an ear, "You've always been a brave soul and if there's a shadow looming in your head right now, beat it day by day. Don't think it's going to be the same tomorrow—besides, super Amanda is capable of defeating those shadows" Veena winked at Amanda.

"Super Amanda? You really have so much confidence in me, huh?" Amanda chuckled.

"I've got so much confidence in you that I know you'll be able to finally bag the elusive crown and save the Universe!" the attractive woman replied excitedly.

"What if I'm the one who needs to be saved?"

Both of them are now staring at each other's eyes as if they're dueling internally, "then I just hope the person who can save you will be more than ready to be patient and beat the odds with you", Veena answered Amanda in a serious tone.

Amanda just sighed deeply as if removing a chunk of negative energy that was weighing down her mind, "I hate you until now you know. I hate what you did to me but at the same time I don't think I'd become the woman I am today if I haven't met you"