Chapter Three

"Nelly!" Abby called from the other end of the hallway. She held on tightly to her stuff with one arm, then jogged over to me.

"Hey girly. What's up?" I asked, shutting my locker and locking it after retrieving my stuff, then turning to talk to her.

"Nothing much. I just... I feel really bad." She said, trailing off and looking away. I was confused.

"Why? What happened?" I asked, concerned.

"Well..." She scratched the back of her head and looked at her feet, which she kicked at the ground nervously. "I've kind of been... keeping a secret from you."

I felt a little hurt, but we did always agree that if it was a serious secret that was nobody else's business, we could have exceptions. "That's okay. If you ever want to talk about it..."

She cut me off. "Actually... I think I want to tell you. I need to tell someone or I'm going to explode." She paused. "Not right now, though. Is there anyway I can come over tonight?" She asked, eyes pleading.

I had to think about my schedule and try to remember if anything was planned. "Well... my brother gets out of work early, so we wouldn't have the house to ourselves."

She shrugged coolly. "That's fine. It doesn't really matter."

"Okay." I agreed and she walked away.

Hmm. Wonder what all of that's about. I'm not really worried, though. She has her reasons and I'm not asking her to share every life story she has.

I wrapped my arms around my books and held them closely to my chest. Many times my friends have told me I look very insecure and shy when I do this. Everyone else hold their things to the side or in one hand. I don't know... this just feels more comfortable to me, besides... I am pretty shy.

I strolled into my first period classroom, Algebra 2. Neither Ryan nor Abby were in this class, but Alex was. Alex, the boy with blonde hair that made fun of Ryan the day he got turned down. He can be a jerk at times, but he's still nice and is a good friend of mine.

I took my seat in the front row of the classroom. I always request a seat in the front. Not because I'm a 'goody two shoes' but because I have some vision problems and I can never focus when I'm in the back.

Alex, who's more of a trouble maker, sits beside me. He, however, did not request that seat. It was more of a punishment to him. It was a punishment to me too, in a way. He always picks on me and flirts. It makes me sick.

"Hey cutie. How's your day so far?" He asked me with a cheeky grin as he placed his stuff on his desk and took a seat.

I sighed. Speak of the devil and he shall appear. "How many times have I told you not to call me that?"

He looked up as if to think, then started counting them off on his fingers.

"Hmm. Let's see. One... two... three... five, six, seven...ten." He flicked up a finger with every number.

"Wow, you sure know how to count." I rolled my eyes jokingly.

"Obviously I had realized a few at a time and didn't feel like counting each one off."

"Yeah sure. Excuses, excuses." I muttered. I was bored today so I figured I might as well poke fun at him.

"It wasn't an excuse! Gosh, you're so weird." He exclaimed, folding his arms and leaning back in his seat.

"Then why do you always talk to me?" I asked, truly wanting to know. I always saw myself as annoying. I never chose the right words to say my actions are questionable. When I want to start a conversation, I end it before it begins. I'm the weirdest, most annoying and almost anti-social kid here. Why does he take the time to flirt with me?