Five

These last couple of days we've been training or whatever for the game against varsity. We were skating around the rink one day.

"All right, I've been doing my homework on the varsity. I'm not gonna lie to you, they're good. The way they wiped your faces in the dirt last time was no fluke." Coach Orion said. We started jumping over sticks or whatever lol. 

"So if you want your pride back, you better be willing to work. There's nothing glamorous about it. In the pros, we call it blue-collar hockey." Coach Orion says. 

"Now there's one thing the varsity does very well. They're vultures around the net. They pick up every piece of loose trash. That's how they beat you. Not with the first shot; the second and the third. They bang in the junk. So if you wanna win, you're gonna have to pick up the trash." Coach Orion says, then dumps out the trash. 

"Whew, man." Russ says, covering his nose. 

"That trash smells like ass." I say backing up a little. Averman picks up a bagel. 

"Have any cream cheese?" he says. I shake my head with a smile. We started cleaning the garbage in front of the net with our sticks. 

"Let's go, let's go, let's go!" Coach Orion says. 

We continue that. 

Then the next day there was a set up with garbage on the side of the sidewalk, we were all roller blading picking it up and tossing it in a garbage can Coach Orion was holding. 

"Come on! Throw that garbage in there!" Coach Orion says. For some reason it was kind of fun lol. 

"Yes! Whoo!" we all kind of cheered. My hair was in two french braids. 

Then we go back to clearing garbage away from the net. 

"All right, looks like this place is pretty clean." Julie says. 

"Get up, get up! Come on! On the net! The crease is yours! Let's go!" Charlie says. Then Coach Orion blows his whistle.

"Let's go! Get over here! Grab a knee!" Coach Orion yells. We all do. 

"You guys are you not skating like Warriors!" Coach Orion says. Averman mumbles something. I look at Charlie, then Adam. 

"You look like something else. You look like Ducks." Coach Orion says pulling out a jersey. 

"Robertson." Coach adds tossing the jersey towards him. I look at Charlie and he has  smile on his face. They all get up to get their own. I stand up too, but stay behind. Coach Orion motions me to come over there. I skate over there and he had something behind his back. He reveals a Ducks' jersey, he hands it to me. 

"Are you sure?" I ask. 

"Yes, I'm sure Nessa." Coach replied. I smile. I turn around and see everyone else smiling. 

"It's good to have you on the team Ness." Charlie says. I smile. 

"Thanks." I reply. 

Friday comes and tbh I was nervous than ever. My hands were shaking.

"Hey, you ok?" Adam asks, sitting next to me on the bench.

"Y-yeah. Just super nervous." I replied, looking at Adam.

"Don't be nervous. You're one of the best players. Plus you know varsity better than any of us." Adam says.

"Thanks Adam." I replied. 

"No problem." he says. He gets up and walks towards where everyone else was around Coach. I join them.