chapter 2

CHAPTER 2

MARQUES and Elizabeth both strangers to each other found themselves walking towards the alter.  Elizabeth couldn’t feel the air in her lungs. Why was the priest calling them? HAS he maybe been informed of her running away? She was caught. There was no way he was going to look ignorant and not call her parents unless she played along with this stranger who was walking beside her whoever he was.

“No one informed me of this fact” the priest said. He was drunk but he felt he could remember that little information? “No one to witness this, let then God be our humble witness” clearly he was confused, Elizabeth thought to herself, but she did not inform him of the fact.

NO one had told him that he was to be in such a scenario, was he supposed to go to heaven or hell? He zoned out on all of them. Not when he was he forced to say yes to something he didn’t know.

“By the power invested in me I now pronounce you man and wife, you may kiss the bride”    she smiled finally she was going to be able to get away from this. Stranger or not this man had agreed to marry her. No man would want to marry a married woman. IT would be too shameful even for the duke.

“What!”  With the way this stranger exclaimed couldn’t be ignored. Just his voice held so much power.

“Is there a problem here? “The priest was as surprised as the groom,” you are to kiss your bride”

“Ma- ma- married!” Marques couldn’t believe what was going on he felt like a bucket of cold water had been spilt on his face. He was suddenly sick. He looked at the lady he thought of as an angel. She did look as shocked as him; in fact she looked at peace, like she just found her salvation.

“You, my dear brother, are married,” Andrew quickly signed the papers as the witness.

“Is this why you wanted to come to the church instead? You know this is not the type of wedding a person in your position ought to have,” said Andrew. Clearly he was founding amusement from all this trouble.

“You know the right way to go about all this is if you kissed your bride brother,” James commented.

“Father will be ecstatic about this,”

He glared at his brother with that look they both knew not to go further.

“I’m sorry” Elizabeth whispered.

Stupid girl why was she apologising for, Marques thought. Stupid and adorable. Why was she behaving like this was her fault? He turned to the priest. That is when he noticed it. The priest was not sober.

“Father, do something!” he screamed at the priest. He was more upset with himself than he was with the priest who was drunk on duty.

“Have I done anything wrong?” he was still trying to figure out what went wrong.

“You, father, did nothing wrong, in fact these is the only right thing you have done “James commented noticing how much the priest smelled of whisky.

“Is there any way you can undo these marriage, father” Marques asked ignoring his brothers comment.

“You found for yourself a lovely bride, how and when is a mystery though” Andrew smiled brightly to his brother. He was unable to conceal to his amusement.

“Father!” he was not shaken, no one asked to undo a marriage, especially after minutes of marriage.

“It is barely a day, you may sign here” He pointed to the papers.