chapter 3

Back at the inn, the three brothers sat at the diner table staring at the new addition to the family. They ate their midday meal in total silence, no one was able to voice out how they really felt. Her long black hair cascaded down her back. She was gracious and beautiful so Andrew noticed. No one said a word; the room was so quite that if a pin would drop all would hear it. As much as he found the marriage stupid, James was overwhelmed with happiness. He remembered all the times that his brother had sworn not to get married, this was not hope it was supposed to happen but it was too late to start thinking about how a proper marriage should be conducted.

"Father will be glad you chose a fine wife, Marques" James broke the silence. He was getting flustered with all the silence going on at the table.

"James!" Marques shouted, now everyone was paying close attention to the blushing Elizabeth.

"Possessive much is we?" Andrew asked. Now it was Marques' turn to blush red. Why was he even blushing? He was supposed to be furious with them for finding this situation funny.

"What are we to tell papa? You do know he will be curious about the girl" Andrew asked.

"We tell him nothing for he shall not find out about this, i gets divorce right away, and everyone shall be sworn to secrecy including you" He now pointed out to the girl. She squirmed in her sit. Off course she would say nothing, she thought to herself, but why was this man talking about her with so much venom? And why did he talk with so much authority like he owned everyone else?

"I understand" She said.

"No you don't understand and after today i hope to make you understand, for now you will obey what i tell you" Marques shouted at her.

"Obey you; do you think I am a dog? Or your servant?" she could hear James and Andrew laughing, but right now she did care. Was she to obey every word he barked out?

"Yes, you will obey me like a dog if that is how you wish to do it and if it will please you"

"How dare you?" she gasped out loud. She was loud. Andrew was amused, James was shocked and Marques was horrified. No one has talked to him like that; he was used to getting his way. Not after his mother, no one had been able to defy him. Who the hell was this orphan talking to him like that for?

"Who the hell are you to defy my commandments?" Marques was upset.

"Clearly not your servant girl"

"Until i get these between us sorted out, you shall do as i command you" Marques stood up.

"Or what?" she challenged.

"I divorce you in your home town, that will be interesting now wont it or shall i report the matter to your duke about how you don't want to listen to what i have to say as your husband." She instantly paled. Even as Marques walked out she could feel anger rising within her. Who was this man to threaten her like that?

"He is bluffing" Andrew tried to reassure her. Should she believe the strangers who seemed to cower when they brother commanded.

"No one talks to our brother like that, I like you"

"These will be the most interesting marriage ever, won't it be brother?" Andrew said.

Was everything to this two funny and interesting? She needed to find him before he went to the duke.

.....................................................................................................................................

She had not seen Marques for the rest of the day, not when they were having their evening meal. Or when she felt the urge to go and apologise.