chapter 10

***************

As she looked at him, she noticed something had changed about him. She couldn't understand it nor could she point out the change. His eyes held a new dangerous fire to them. There was an added energy as he rode the horse. He carried with him a new vigour and she didn't know whether to be scared or not. They had ridden together for hours with no presence of Andrew or James. He was compelled to ask him where they were to meet up.

"How far are we from them?" He knew perfectly well who she meant by them but he had not intended on meeting up with. He had known why his brothers had gone ahead of him? They wanted to torment him with her presence. He had ridden as slow as he could as thoughts of her consumed him. She was so close to him yet so far. If only he could have her just a touch of her hand would make him feel so much better but he didn't want to scare her. Putting her in such a state was more than enough. He didn't want to confuse her. He wanted to take this as slow as he could.

He was going to make her his for keeping and there was nothing to rush for.

She was going to be his wife.

She was going to be the mother of his children.

She was going to inherit the earldom with him.

She was going to be a beautiful bride when he takes her as his.

He had to keep telling himself this to remind himself that he was not dreaming and the beautiful lady wasn't in his other ordinary dreams. She had asked him a question but for the life of him he couldn't remember.

What did she say? What was she asking for? Oh Andrew..... Or was it James. Why was she even asking about his brothers? Jealousy consumed him as he thought of her showing her affection to his brothers and not him. She had to be his.

"How far are we from them?" She repeated her question hoping she could get an answer from him. She was consumed with the unknown heat that made her feel very uncomfortable to be alone in his presence.

"How do you mean?" she had known but she had asked. She had known how he ignorant he would act towards the question but most of all she had known how he would never give her the answer she sought.

"Do you need rest?" He was clearly charmed by her reaction to the question if the movement on the horse told him so. He fought with himself just to turn around and see her flustered reaction. The way her pretty lips quivered as if to protest but having no words to do so. Or the way her eyes glowed trying to find remark to him. He had noticed so many silly reactions from her. He knew she sighed more than five times a second when she was thinking.

"Are you sure they are okay?" Andrew had asked after a while. He had been worried about the darkening of the sky and how the wind became too harsh. He gave a silent prayer that Marques would find the cabin.

"He wouldn't possibly kill her" James said.

"At least not by purpose." Andrew added.

He looked up the sky. The wind that blew by them told them the rains were about to grace them. He panicked and she picks up his panic as well as the horses.

"What is going on?" she asked frustrated by this. He couldn't lie to her at least not on this one.

"We have a storm ahead." Her posture was alert and posed. Off course what did she expect him to say? She was alone with in the middle of nowhere with no chaperone. What if he so wished to have his way with her?

"I will not have my way with you." He chuckled for he found her state very amusing.

"What did I say?" she asked. She was embarrassed for she had said her thoughts out loud. She turned a darker shade of pink. All Marques did was laugh.

He had a rich laughter that drew her in, his laughter made you want to share in his happiness. Unfortunately this was a serious situation and it was nothing to laugh about.

He remembered where the abandoned cabin was but he did not want to take her there for he did not trust himself with her. His intentions were pure but what happens when he accidentally touches her. What if he made a move on her? And what was with her lavender scent. He could smell the lavender all day for he couldn't get rid of it. She smelled so good. He wanted to smell her hair. How it possible is that one person would be so pretty and smell so good? Was it even possible to be this charming?

Where did his good for nothing brothers go? The possibly knew the situation of the weather but they still felt the need to abandon him. Abandon him in the presence of torture for that was what she was a torturer. How could they just abandon him with her? Did they not care at all what damage he may do to her? He was going to have a word with them for he did not appreciate being put in such a situation.

He automatically had leaded the horse to the cottage. It was like the horse had read its masters mind.

"We shelter here for now." He said as he got off the horse. She ignored his helping hand and got off the horse herself.

"Where are the others?" she asked hoping for find Andrews head popping from somewhere.

"Gone." he offered one single word to help her understand. He was not going to start explaining where his brothers and why.

"Gone!" she exclaimed. "How do you mean gone?"

Ignoring her, he went inside to start a fire for he knew they had a long way before the storm would come to an end. Looking at the way the sky darkened and the wind become heavy they were in it for a very heavy storm. They had been so close to getting home if only he had ridden a little faster they could have been in the comfort of his mansion.