Battle

{Lacey}

I hadn't slept well at all even in Paul's strong arms. When morning rolled around I did not want to leave the bed, more so I did not want to leave the embrace of my imprint.

"It's time to get up my Angel." His satin voice broke our peaceful silence.

I lifted my head and saw his handsome face smiling down on me. I wanted to cry again, I just couldn't get him to see the possibility of him getting seriously hurt.

But he made a promise and I'm going to hold him to it.

I watched as Paul pulled on a pair of old jeans he had cut into shorts, and a ratty old black t shirt. He brushed his teeth and didn't bother with his tussled black hair.

Grandfather had breakfast ready but for once neither of us had an appetite.
"Mckayla is coming over shortly, Paul you should probably get going." Grandfather said.

Paul nodded in agreement and began making his way to the front door. I got up and followed him. I kissed him deeply, not caring if my grandfather was in the room. This could be the last chance I get to see him.

"Remember your promise." I said.

"Of course, and please don't worry." He said as he let go of my face.

He walked out the door.

"Come back to me." I said after him.

"I promise." He said with all seriousness. "I have no intention of letting those leeches win." I watched as he began running toward the woods and shifted as he ran, his huge wolf disappearing into the overgrowth. I stayed as calm as I could and went back into the house, grandfather didn't speak, and I was glad for it.

Shortly Mckayla came over. "I'm going crazy wondering what's happening. You know I didn't even hear from Jakey last night." Mckayla whined.

I felt bad, all of us knew Jacob had run Bella up the mountain last night. But Edward is like Mckayla in the sense that he doesn't trust Jacob, so he tagged along and even opted out of fighting to stay with Bella through out the whole thing.

"Do you think the fight has started?" She asked pulling me from my thoughts.

"I don't know." I answered her.

"Come on, lets go visit Billy." Mckayla offered.

I obliged her, at least it was something to do other than sitting here and thinking about Paul.

We walked over to the Black house and no one was home.

"Door's unlocked, that means he isn't far." Mckayla announced, "why don't we make him a nice lunch for when he gets back." I nodded. We washed our hands and she pulled out all of the ingredients to make fish stew.

I began cutting up vegetables and she cleaned the fish. Almost an hour later the food was simmering and we had succumbed to sitting around and worrying once more.

"I have to go and find out what's happening." Mckayla said as she stood in frustration.

"No Mckayla, lets just wait here like we're suppose to." I said suddenly feeling extremely worried for the blonde girl who I considered one of my best friends.

"I'll call you when I get there." She said as she hugged me.

"I'm coming with you." I said.

"No, stay here! Paul will kill me if anything happens to you." She said, a flash of fear running over her face.

"Oh and you think Jake isn't going to have my hide for letting YOU walk out of here?" I asked.

She shook her head. "NO! That's enough, you stay here." She ordered then ran out the door.