Chapter Fourteen: Iacon's Memorial Grounds

Megatron dipped his sharp talons into the fresh soil, sighing long and slow. "You deserved better, Old Friend."

All around him were rows upon rows of gravestones. They stretched for a long distance, chasing the horizon under a soft setting sky. Everyone important was buried here. Senators, martyrs, war heroes, doctors. . . Megatron knew all the names. He wasn't surprised to see Autobot warriors here. On his way in, he had glimpsed Ironhide's name, right beside Chromia's.

Soundwave was the first and likely only Decepticon to be buried here. No Decepticon was buried here during the war, and now that the faction was no more, Soundwave would be the only Cybertronian bearing the Decepticon badge to be resting here. Megatron felt that this wasn't enough. Soundwave had been by his side since the beginning, he had been loyal and reliable for eons. The mech deserved the highest honors for what he did for his cause.

Most of those returning home had rid themselves of their insignias. Many of the Autobots struggled with this; they were proud of what they did, and of their faction's victory. Optimus encouraged setting the past behind them- factions didn't matter anymore.

Megatron was impressed that Optimus had removed his own Autobot badges. Team Prime had followed in his wake- with the exception of Ratchet. The medic was too proud to erase it completely. Instead, he made an effort to dull it down until it was subtle, barely noticeable.

Almost all Decepticons had tossed aside their badges. Autobots had been more hesitant, but it was slowly happening. It became a growing trend for other symbols to be put in their place- small decos of Cybertron, constellations, stars, moons, flames, anything they could think of, anything they liked. When they looked to where their former faction's insignia would be, they saw a new symbol that made them happy, without the association of war.

And yet, Soundwave hadn't lived long enough to exchange his badge for something new. Instead, he had been left in another dimension to starve to death. It was a horrible way to die, watching your energon levels drop, feeling your frame slowly shut down. Soundwave deserved so much better. His husk had been found in the control bridge of the Nemesis; Rafael had helped cross the streams of the bridges in order to retrieve it. Megatron was admittedly nervous that while he was inside this different dimension, the bridge would be closed, and he'd be abandoned there to die, just as Soundwave had.

Instead, Optimus came with him. Optimus walked beside him, helped him search the warship, and offered to carry Soundwave out.

A sizable supply of energon was given to Megatron, loaded onto a small ship. It had been Kickback's ship, the one his trio had arrived in. It was gifted to Megatron. The two mechs that had arrived with Kickback had been uninvolved in the kidnapping ordeal, but had been overwhelmingly sympathetic. They had given Megatron everything they knew about Kickback, which wasn't much, and had proved that they had no idea what had been happening. It appeared that the Insecticon had met up with Rumble and the seekers after they arrived.

The two mechs did provide Optimus with Kickback's personal belongings. Among those were a series of personal notes- drafts of plans. Revenge plans. It seemed that as soon as Optimus' message to all, inviting everyone home, reached Kickback, he began scheming for vengeance.

Megatron wondered if there were other Decepticons out there that wished to continue his legacy.

That wasn't his concern. He sprinkled soil over the grave, venting. He slowly stood, sparing Soundwave's grave one last look, before turning and made his way back to the ship- his ship. He wasn't sure what he would do, or where he would go. He had the means to travel and explore, but he wasn't sure that he wanted that.

He had all the time in the world to decide.

Optimus was pleasantly surprised to come home to Bulkhead in his housing unit. He had left Ratchet for a couple hours for work, promising to check in every quarter. He hadn't realized that his mate had company. Ratchet was reclined on the couch, talking away, while Bulkhead mixed energon for him, happily listening.

Admittedly, Optimus never thought they would be friends. At least, not like this. Bulkhead had matured significantly, and Ratchet had loosened and relaxed. They regarded one another like old friends.

"Welcome home." Ratchet greeted. Optimus walked behind the couch to kiss his forehelm.

"How are your pedes?"

Ratchet vented, lifting his leg to look at one of his bandaged pedes. "Painful. But the wounds are healing." He smiled at Bulkhead as a cube of energon was handed to him. The couch creaked as Bulkhead sat down.

"Ratch was telling me about some of the names you guys are thinking about." He seemed excited. "I really like them, I've already come up with nicknames." His optics sparkled, and Optimus couldn't help but smile. "Once the apartment buildings are back up again, I want to build a playground. There will be more sparklings, and I want them to have somewhere to go to play."

"That's a wonderful idea." Ratchet nodded, sipping his energon. "Perhaps you'll even have one."

Bulkhead blushed. "Hah, I don't think so. I'm not sure I'd be the best parental figure."

"Well, whatever you choose, you'll have lots of practice with our little bitlet." The medic rubbed his middle, smiling down at it fondly. "You'll have competition for babysitting, though."

"Smokescreen and Bumblebee clash over it daily." Optimus agreed.

"Oh!" Ratchet suddenly startled, servo darting out to grab Bulkhead's wrist. The wrecker jumped, optics widening.

"What? What's wrong?"

"The sparkling is kicking, quickly," Ratchet pulled his servo over quickly. Bulkhead seemed timid, hesitating.

"I. . . I'm scared of hurting you." He admitted quietly.

Ratchet slowed his movements, gently setting Bulkhead's servo over his middle. "You won't." He reassured. "Now wait a moment. . ." Optimus smiled fondly at Bulkhead's look of wonder. His optics widened, and he laughed.

"Woah, I didn't know it felt like that." He said in awe.

Optimus sat down on the other side of Ratchet. "The sparkling wants out." He draped an arm around his mate.

"Primus, keeps me up all night." Ratchet huffed. "Just wait until they are screaming nonstop."

"You made it through years with Miko." Bulkhead joked, and Ratchet laughed. "I need to visit her."

"We all do." Optimus nodded.

While it was wonderful that Bulkhead was visiting, Optimus was glad when he left. He wanted alone time with his mate. The moment Bulkhead was gone, Optimus was on his knees, in between Ratchet's legs, resting his helm on his swollen forge. He rubbed it in slow, gentle circles, just as Ratchet had taught him. The bitlet responded with kicks against his helm, squirming against their sire's touch.

"I can't wait to meet you." Optimus was murmuring to Ratchet's stomach. "We already love you so much."

Ratchet stroked his helm, closing his optics. The sparkling was thrashing in excitement- or just in reaction- to the tender touches and vibrations of Optimus' deep voice.

"Every day, more toys are delivered for you. Everyone is bent on spoiling you." Optimus glanced up at his mate's face. "You are all your carrier thinks about."

"Mm. Because I'm ready for him to come out."

Optimus' optics sparkled. "Him?"

Ratchet shrugged. "I feel like it's a mech. Obviously, I don't know for sure." He traced a seam along Optimus' helm with his fingers. "It's just a feeling, really."

"Hmm. Did you tell your carrier that you're a mech? Are you going to be our handsome little son?" The sound of Optimus cooing brought a wide smile to Ratchet's face.

"He'll be a stunner. His sire is the most gorgeous mech around." Ratchet purred.

"And his carrier is equally beautiful." Optimus smiled up at him. "We're going to make one pretty mechling."

Ratchet laughed, soft and genuine.

This was nice. Optimus hoped to spend many evenings like this, enjoying time with his friends and family, at peace. He wondered if Megatron desired the same peace.