•pride• (lesse - jesse and lake)

lake is non-binary and uses they/he in this story :)
///////////////////////////////////////////

lake smiled softly at their boyfriend as they marched along. jesse had his little brother propped up on his shoulders so he could see the parade better. lake had heard tulip talk about pride parades a long time ago, but they had never gone to one. they were so excited to be here. lake loved living in jesse's world. his family was their family and everyone was very kind and accepting. he knew that jesse's mom was somewhere in the crowd, watching them march. lake had a transgender flag draped around him like a cape and had painted the flag on his cheeks, across his metallic skin. jesse wore a bisexual pride t-shirt with some dorky saying on it. lake couldn't help but scoff when they were in the store, picking their outfits out and jesse held up the shirt. "i'm having an existential bi-sis," jesse read aloud and lake cringed. "oh, i'm definitely getting this one," he said, smugly and lake rolled his eyes. on his shoulders, jesse's little brother wore a ton of beads necklaces that were constantly being thrown towards them. one hand was gripping about 15 different pride flags and, the other, more candy than the kid was allowed to have in a day. lake reached out, slipping his hand into jesse's. he felt safe here, unjudged. jesse looked over at lake, squeezing their hand gently.

when the parade was over, they met up with jesse's mom and his little brother was pretty tired from the day's events, so she took some photos, handed them some money, and made them promise to be home by dinner. jesse and lake nodded eagerly and lake held jesse's hand, dragging him to the convention being held in their local park. they went from vendor to vendor, many being either company sponsors of the event, handing out free things, or lgbtq+ artists from the area, displaying and selling their work. they bought pronoun pins and lake proudly fastened his to the white tank top he was wearing. they took lots of photos together and lake made notes to post them later. he had grown quite the following online due to his odd appearance. he talked online and in interviews about what he could remember about the train, which wasn't alot, and, since he technically had no parents, he was considered emancipated by the state. he was grateful for that because he didn't want anyone to try and take him from his boyfriend - again.

after a long day of walking around and participating in games and challenges, lake and jesse flopped down under a tree to get some rest. lake didn't sweat - something that jesse was surely jealous of at the moment, considering that he is drenched in sweat. "we should probably get going soon," jesse says and lake nods. it was nearly 5:45pm and dinner was at 7. "i'd like to sit here for just a few more minutes, if that's okay," lake said, nodding their head. jesse leans his head on their shoulder and lake runs their fingers through his hair. "thank you for bringing me here," they said, still petting him. "no problem! i'm glad you like it!" jesse says, excitedly. "like it? i love it," they say in disbelief, "thank you so so much." lake leans over, pressing a gentle kiss on their boyfriend's forehead and, then, his lips. they get up eventually, taking a last look at the setting before heading home, hand in hand.

"i can't wait to come back next year," lake thinks to himself, a soft smile on his lips.

///////////////////////////////////////////

(a/n:) happy pride month from lake and jesse! might draw this, tbh 🥰