Dating Edward Cullen

Chapter 18: Dating Edward Cullen

Bella POV:

Thank God Jacob called. He had saved me from making a huge mistake. I can't believe I let Edward get so close to me. Again! What was I thinking? Clearly, I wasn't. I could not let this happen. Not again. Never again. Protect yourself.

My heart ached. Begged me to get closer to him since my body craved his touch. I wished he could just hold me. I had a sudden urge to turn around, run into his open arms and pretend the past eight months had not happened at all.

My mind quickly put a stop to that. You will not let Edward get this close to you. You will not kiss Edward. He will only hurt you. He will leave you when everything gets too tough for him to handle. You have survived heartbreak once, who says you can survive heartbreak a second time? Don't test it. Don't let him come too close to you. Protect yourself.

I waved goodbye to Edward and got in my car.

'Hey Jake,' I answered my phone, aware of my heavy breathing.

'Bells...,' he started, unsure how to continue. 'I haven't heard anything from you, so I thought; might just call her.'

'Are you at home?' I instead asked him. 'And if you are, can I come over?'

I heard him breathe out. 'Sure, I'll see you soon.'

We both hung up and I was pleased with this little distraction. I could go to Jake, tell him all about these horrible days and he would assure me everything would be fine. I was sure of it. I needed my friend more than anything right now. So I drove to his house, singing along with my car radio as I felt more optimistic. Jacob could place everything in the right perspective. I arrived, and he was already sitting outside. He jumped up and walked over to my car.

'Jake,' I exclaimed as I jumped out. I tried to hug him, but he would not let me. 'What's the matter?'

He avoided my eyes and looked directly at my car. 'I was worried, actually.'

'Worried? For what?'

'I don't know. Thought Charlie might ground you, again. You know, for drinking this Friday while still having a head injury. And then I didn't hear from you for a few days. So yeah, I was worried.' He still avoided my eyes, looking sheepishly anywhere except me.

'I can handle Charlie, Jake. Is that why I couldn't hug you just now?'

'No, that's not it.'

'Where you pissed I haven't called you?'

He forced a smile and met my eyes. 'Is that very childish of me?'

I looked back at him, and saw he was actually hurt by that. 'No, I should have called you to thank you for taking care of me and I'm sorry I haven't. But you wouldn't know what happened at school this week.'

'Alright, I'll bite. What has gotten your panties in a twist?' He smiled again and I felt immediately at ease.

'So, Monday was just a normal day, right? I received a Biology assignment and now I have to work together with Edward Cullen for who knows how long. It's horrible. Exes should not have to mix like that,' I ended with a heavy sight. I looked up and saw Jacob had closed his eyes again. I wondered what was wrong. Had I said something that upset him?

'What's wrong?' I asked.

He laughed sarcastically. 'So just to be clear, you haven't called me because of Edward Cullen?'

'I don't understand, Jake. What does Edward have to do with this? I'm sorry I haven't called you, but you could have called me if you were so worried for my safety.' I started to get annoyed at this. Truly, what did Jacob mean by any of this? He acted as if he was a jealous boyfriend, it was utterly absurd.