Chapter 13

-Azriel's POV-

Who was the woman?

Dawn curled up on the sofa next to me and I knew she felt responsible for keeping this city safe with her newfound powers and I didn't know how to convince her otherwise.

"So, now we know that there is a woman calling the shots." Feyre said, breaking the silence.

"How do we find her, and how do we stop her?" Cassian asked.

"I'll set my spies on it," I said, running my thumb over Dawn's shoulder.

"Dawn, you're back!" Leina squealed, running to her sister.

Dawn lifted her into her lap and held her close.

"What have you been up to baby?" Dawn asked softly.

"I've been helping Elain with her garden, I want to be just like you Dawn, and you know I can grow plants like you!" Leina said excitedly.

"What have you grown?" Dawn asked with a smile.

My heart swelled as I watched her with her sister, she was so kind and gentle and patient.

Leina was listing off plants, causing Dawn to laugh.

"Why don't you show me," she said and Leina took Dawn's hand, dragging her across the room.

She threw a smile over her shoulder at us before she was gone.

"They are so cute together," Mor said, smiling at the now empty doorway.

"What do," Feyre started but Dawn ran back in.

"There is something happening in the city," she said without stopping for breath, we all stood, rushing outside.

All around the city rocks were being dropped from the sky. Dawn didn't hesitate as she took all of the light she could and sent it over the city to form a shield, every rock that hit it exploded into dust.

While she did that I searched for the source.

"There!" Mor yelled, pointing to the mountain side near the House of Wind.

All of the rocks were being thrown from that cliff face. Dawn then sent a pulse of light through the whole city, healing light, I realised as it passed through me, she was healing anyone injured before she put the shield in place, damn my mate was amazing.

With a mighty flap of our wings Cassian, Rhys, Feyre and I all flew for the ledge. We all passed through the shield unharmed, it seemed Dawn's power could tell friend from foe.

We all landed on the ledge and collectively froze.

"So nice of you to finally join me." The female in front of us mocked.

"You are dead." Feyre breathed, looking sick.

"Oh, dear sweet Feyre, how naive of you, I'm not dead." The female laughed.

"How did you survive?" Rhys hissed.

"Wouldn't you like to know, now I suggest you say goodbye to your precious Court because it will fall, and I will take it over," she laughed.

Rhys unleashed his power, slamming it into her but when the darkness cleared, she was gone.

"Fuck," Cassian breathed, none of us told him off.

A scream cut through the air, and we all looked at the city, the light shield was pulsing, burning brightly, before it died.

"No," I breathed, jumping off the cliff and flying for my mate.

I landed on the ground next to her, my knees popping on impact. Mor was holding a limp dawn in her arms.

I took her from Mor, running my fingers through her hair.

"She just used too much power again Az, she needs rest, she will be ok," Feyre said, placing a hand on my shoulder.

I stood and took her inside.

"Is she ok?" Leina asked, looking at Dawn with tears in her eyes.

"She just needs sleep honey, she will be ok," Feyre said, brushing her tears away.

She followed me up the stairs and once I had set Dawn on the bed, I lifted her into my arms.

I sat on the other side of the bed to dawn and held Leina as she sobbed into my chest. I would treat this little girl as my own, just as Dawn does.

Exhaustion slammed into me and I fell asleep with Leina still in my arms. 

-Dawn's POV-

I cracked my eyes open and realised it was now night. I sat up and smiled at what I saw.

Azriel was sat on the other side of the bed, asleep, Leina was curled up in his arms, her head on his chest, also asleep. Azriel had also put his wing over her small body.

I eased off the bed, being careful not to wake either of them, and walked down the stairs.

"Hey dawn, how are you feeling?" Feyre asked me, the whole inner circle was sat in the sitting room, alcohol in hand.

"Refreshed, what exactly happened, I remember shielding the city, and healing everyone then a whole lot of pain before nothing," I said, sitting with Mor.

"We found out who the woman was," Feyre said, shadows dancing in her eyes.

"From the looks on your faces I'm assuming you have delt with her before." I said, frowning a little.

"Oh, you have no idea," Rhys said, although I expected the phrase to carry some emotion, he sounded dead.

"Who is it?" I asked, worried for the people who had quickly become my family.

"Amarantha," Feyre breathed.