Ch 18- The Long Journey Ahead.

“Nothing in life is ever as simple as we imagine.”

Miomomo packed her things; every garment that went in, a piece of her calm demeanor went along with it. It was as if the silk kimono were pieces of all the things that held her together: the nagajuban was her nonchalant attitude; the kimono itself was her spirit; and her obi was the brawn that held it all together.

“Thinking hard again?” She turned to see Toph leaning in the doorway; she gave her a kind smile before turning back to her packing.

“I am always in my thoughts; I’d walk right into danger and not know.” She could hear the chuckles of Toph behind her.

“I can see that happening.” Toph pushed herself off the doorframe and came into the room, plopping herself on Miomomo’s bed.

“Aren’t you supposed to be at the tea house? I thought you had a client today.”

“Actually I just finished packing, Okasan told me to go with you.” Miomomo’s face contorted into confusion.

“But I already have Lolita.”

“Lolita isn’t a geisha yet. You’re going to need me there to play the shamisen when you perform for the Kazekage.”

“You finally learned how to play?” Miomomo asked with genuine curiosity. Toph rose from her place on the bed and walked towards the door.

“Things change Miomomo, it been years; but people learn…” Toph trailed off. She turned to ask her what she meant by that, but she was already gone.

Lolita has been bouncing with excitement ever since they left the Okiya; but she was the only one. There had been some tension in the air with a hint of apprehensiveness. The villages entrance—or exit, depending on which way you’re coming from; came into view and she saw Gai and two other women standing there. Gai flashed her a big grin.

“Hello Mio-chan! Gai here at your service; I was a little surprised when you requested me to escort you, but I will make sure you will not regret it.” He said enthusiastically. Miomomo almost giggled at his behavior.

“It’s a pleasure to finally meet you Gai-san.” The red headed woman beside him crossed her arms and gave her a raised eyebrow.

“You’re overflowing with youth!” He smiled, his teeth flashing with sparkle.  The woman rolled her eyes and shoved him out the way.

“The names Aira; I know you weren’t expecting me, but me and Gai are a packaged deal.” She said self-righteously, while pointing a finger in Miomomo’s direction. Gai clasped his hands together with sparkling eyes.

“Yes; my love thinks I am going to run into the arms of another woman!” Aira blushed and smacked him upside the head; scolding him. The other woman spoke up.

“Guy’s please stop.”

“And what is your name?” Miomomo inquired. The woman turned to her and gave her a smile.

“Miko; I’m filling in for Sakura… she was supposed to be here.”

The awkward silence was enough to drive her mad. They have only been walking for a few hours and she could feel herself slowly falling into a spiral of insanity.  Lolita was the only one not affected by the silence; as she hummed quietly to herself a lullaby she remembered. Toph was oddly, indifferent, not saying a word to anyone; just distractedly staring ahead.

“How long is this excursion exactly?” Miomomo asked, breaking the intense silence that seemed to befall the group.

“Why tired already, princess?” Aira asked haughtily.