Chapter 7: Let the games begin

...

A lot of people hate Mondays, but for me? I look forward to it. Mondays make me motivated as it is the start of a brand new work week. That means it's another chance for me to perfect what I do and fix what needs to be fixed.

Today is the day that the venue and date for the Miss Universe pageant will be revealed to national directors and franchises. Erik and I are on our way to Empire Studios' office to meet up with Mama J, miss Shamcey and Tito Albert Andrada. Ang tagal din naka leave si Erik because his mom got sick, but I'm glad he's back with us again.

"Grabe ano, painit na ng painit ngayon. Parang Miss Universe lang, patindi ng patindi na rin yung competition sa inyo" Erik said while exploring his Instagram feed from his purple smartphone. "Ang tindi Ibyang ng candidates this year, buti nalang talaga ikaw Miss Philippines ngayon. Malakas ang laban natin! Grabe ang Asia this edition—palaban kung palaban. Tingnan mo si Nepal oh, ang dark horse vibe nito sa totoo lang"

"Sa totoo lang teh, medyo kinakabahan nga ako" I replied while toying with the ends of my wavy black hair.

"Alam ko ilalaban ko talaga tayo, pero hindi ko rin alam kung magiging proud ba mga fans sa akin. Minsan kasi I see comments saying I'm not good enough or I'm retokada or di ko deserve to be this year's representative and yung pinaka masakit is someone even accused me of being a mistress of a rich man kaya ako nanalo. Never ko magagawa kaya iyon."

Erik turned to face me, "Ibyang, never doubt yourself. You are strong, kind, generous, maganda lahat na ng positive adjectives ikaw yun. You are great kaya don't let your haters pull you down. Inggit lang sila kasi they can never be the phenomenal person that you are."

"Gusto ko lang naman kasi maplease as much people as I can. Yung matuwa ba sila sa akin, kaya nga I'm doing extra work and ginagawa ko na lahat, pero bakit sa iba parang kulang parin?" I looked at him with sadness.

"Bunso, you can never please everyone. Yung ayaw sayo hayaan mo sila ma-agnas and mang-gigil sa inggit. Don't let them nor their words get into your head nalang and poison yung positivity mo. Have fun lang and don't mind the rest." Erik said tenderly.

"Sana nga teh Erik. Pasensya na medyo emo ako today. I just want to be better"

"You are already so much better than most people, Ibyang. Own it. Pak na pak ka naman e!" He smiled while reaching to rub my knees to comfort me.

They were all waiting for me when we got to the studio. I waved and greeted everyone hello and sat at the empty seat beside tito Albert.

"Kamusta na bunso? I hope you're getting by. We know you're doing extra preps and working really hard" I could see the smile in his eyes despite it being covered in a blue face mask. "I just want to say as early as now that we are so proud of you, anak."

"Aw, tito Albert paiiyakin niyo na naman ako e"

Miss Shamcey then spoke after reading the paper in her hands, "Hello everyone! Good morning. This is it. Miss Universe Organization sent us a very important update" she looked at me, this is it na talaga, I cannot believe we're officially entering Miss Universe season.

"Rabiya, bunso, are you ready to hear the news?" my national director asked me.

"Yes, Miss Shamcey. I'm ready! I was born to do this" I replied.

"Yan! That's the spirit!" she cheered,

"The pageant will officially be held on May 16th at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Hollywood, Florida!" Miss Shamcey announced.

"Aaaay!!" Mama J reacted as he clapped his hands.

"Oh my! Totoo ang tsismis! Florida nga talaga", tito Albert said.